• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US cuts interest rates again - 3% now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US cuts interest rates again - 3% now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7218055.stm

The Federal Reserve has cut interest rates for the second time in nine days as it tries to keep the US economy from entering a recession.
    The central bank lowered rates to 3% from 3.5% after a two-day meeting.

Smacks of desperation to me.

Doomed.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7218055.stm

The Federal Reserve has cut interest rates for the second time in nine days as it tries to keep the US economy from entering a recession.
    The central bank lowered rates to 3% from 3.5% after a two-day meeting.

Smacks of desperation to me.

Doomed.
    Panic is not what's required but what seems to be happening

Comment

no folks, this shows the flexibility of the US system and how fast and how far they can react to changing economic circumstances, MB's tip, expect the ECB to cut rates by 0.25% in about 2 years time.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        no folks, this shows the flexibility of the US system and how fast and how far they can react to changing economic circumstances, MB's tip, expect the ECB to cut rates by 0.25% in about 2 years time.

Milan.
        Or it shows that Bernanke doesn't know what he's doing.

An economy isn't a speedboat, it's more like an oil tanker. Slow, steady changes are required.

Comment

Bob,

it's not fair to blame Ben, he's now got to solve the fruits of his predecessor's labour

time will tell eh.

Milan.

Comment

unless you see rocks dead ahead in which case leap on tiller! you know it's going to create havoc for the passengers and cargo but it's better than doing nothing.

Comment

hope he pushed the tiller towards land.
              Last edited by DS23; 31 January 2008, 08:44. Reason: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Who cares as long as he holds our stock portfolios up.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  The stockmarket is holding up well so far considering the level of potential doom out there. My Plan B is to buy big in high yield stuff if it collapses and live off the dividends while sunning myself in a tax free sunny location. However my new Wilmslow effected brain might not have to bottle to pounce !

Another bond insurer in the tulip last night, if they start going down then it really is bunker and beans time. I think they are in genuine heap big trouble hence the panic measures.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    one hand low on the tiller and one hand high with the portfolios. easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X