• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

average speed cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

average speed cameras

There I was stuck in traffic on the M4 as usual so I had time to ponder the average speed limit cameras on the roadworks.

Has anyone ever been caught by one of these? Are they indeed switched on? Seems an effective way to manage the traffic speed with dummy cameras...

Older and ...well, just older!!

What I want to know is do they work at night.

The light from the headlights must make it near impossible for it to photograph your numberplate

Comment

The ones on Thelwall on the M6 during the big roadworks a few years back and the ones on the M56 last year ( both 40 mph ) had an early blitz of catching people including people I know but then seemed to be turned off. By the end of the M56 roadworks some people just sped straight through at 70, I presume they were getting away with it.

Comment

There's two sets within a few miles on the M27/A27.

They obviously do work in slowing down the traffic, but I'm not sure that everybody staring at their speedos and nothing else for a couple of miles is a good thing for safety.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          By the end of the M56 roadworks some people just sped straight through at 70, I presume they were getting away with it.
          Don't know if they were switched off but I just used to change lanes halfway along and never got caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Don't know if they were switched off but I just used to change lanes halfway along and never got caught.
            I was a bit of a wimp and except when daydreaming stuck to low 40s. I've often wondered about lane changing, I presume they are a bit more sophisticated but maybe not. I reckon 90%+ of speed cameras aren't in action at any one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              that was a known flaw in the SPECS system, they can only measure average speed in one lane at a time, so if you switch they MUST ignore you (must because they aren't approved for measuring speed of vehicles that have changed lanes)
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I often wonder how it is that once I've set cruise for 44 as measured by GPS (and car showing nearer 50), people mostly in flash cars with vanity plates seem to sail past - no way of knowing if they just pay the fines, or if they don't get caught. Then again - just because you don't get caught, doesn't mean you didn't break the law ........

Comment

Do they send data wirelessly - if so it must be hackable eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Do they send data wirelessly - if so it must be hackable eh?
                    Probably sent on a unencrypted CD.

Comment

Working...
                    X