• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian Development Teams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Development Teams

So whats the deal with Indian Development teams. Just had a project go two months over, which was interesting considering it was a six week project.

Not allowed to talk directly to the developers, have to go through the manager, who doesnt manage. Everything is sequential.

Went to a meeting and there were 20 people in it, of which only two spoke. Why?!?! WHY?!?

The whole thing was literal, no thought placed into anything, if it looked wrong, they programmed it wrong, when I questioned it, the team would say, well it looked wrong but thats what the BRD says, so we did it that way!!!!

Arggahhhhh!!

Has anyone had a successful implementation using an outsourced Indian dev team?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Cricket maybe?

Comment

No. Just hours and hours and hours of agony fixing all their source code control kockups and compile errors.

Comment

Not yet, although that may change come June when this goes live. Unlikely though.

Comment

Have to say that until recently I did not really get first hand experience with this outsourcing, but now judging by Indian support on one of my sites I have to say they are totally abysmal, it would have been better if there was no support at all - at least it won't have your hopes up and they won't cause problems by misconfiguring things. New release will be on different host

Comment

hmmmm, outsourcing has been around for many years. I'm surprised this is the first time you have encountered it!

What you describe is fairly common when the client is naive enough to think offshore developers == local developers. To make it work better, you have to change your approach.

Get your specs 100% right and it will all work perfectly is one option!

R

Comment

Originally posted by too_many_details View Post
              Get your specs 100% right and it will all work perfectly is one option!
              In which case one might as well write and implement the bloddy thing oneself.

Comment

I work with a team that outsources work to Indian developers... to my great shock.. they do very well. But they have a liason full time in our client site, and he has great communication, and common sense approach.

It can work, but you need a decent liason point, and that is nearly impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                  It can work, but you need a decent liason point, and that is nearly impossible.
                  Is it like ambassadors on Babylon 5?

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    In which case one might as well write and implement the bloddy thing oneself.
                    I agree with that. They were to replace a custom system that I had written, it took me two months and supports 100 concurrent users and cost two months contracting money so about £20k

I need a system scalable to 2000 users. So far we've spent about £300k and all they had to do was copy the first system!!!!!!!

It took me four weeks to do the freaking business requirements and they have the existing solution

So far, the new system has only scaled to 25 concurrent users.

Grrrrrr
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X