• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs on the rob

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPs on the rob

MPs have voted to suspend Derek Conway for 10 days and order him to return £13,161 of the money he paid his son.
    WTF! This guy has been caught robbing taxpayers money to pay for his son to go through Uni and all he gets is 10 days paid leave and a smack on the wrist?

How come he's not been sacked and prosecuted like anyone else in any other job would have been?
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    WTF! This guy has been caught robbing taxpayers money to pay for his son to go through Uni and all he gets is 10 days paid leave and a smack on the wrist?

How come he's not been sacked and prosecuted like anyone else in any other job would have been?

Honourable Gentleman

Comment

They have to be careful this will not open the floodgates. Prosecutions could result in an empty house.

Comment

Perhaps - this Honourable Gentleman and his ilk , such as the former Tax Inspector whom graced these pages recently - epitomise the NL generation - decent Hard Working Family orientated people - or on the other hand - cynical freeloaders who sould stoop at noting to further their own shoddy ends?

NB any reference to His Holiness Pope Blairius is intentional and should be treated as such - whilst the Pope owns 54 per cent of General Motors - and the Stock Exchange is the only thing qualified to quote us - by chanting the names of the Lord and you'll be free
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 1 February 2008, 08:02.

Comment

With any luck this will finally put paid to the secrecy that surrounds MPs gravy train of expenses and allowances. They don't want to release details apparently because they don't want the press picking over the details of what they get up to. I can see that, up to point - but it's not as if we are asking what they spend their salaries on - just what extra stuff they are claiming, and since we're paying, I don't mind the papers investigating that a bit.

They have to come clean now.

Comment

On second thoughts - to insist that the financial affairs of MPs should be transparent could undermine the democratic concept of Corinthian self regulation - at worse some taxayers money could be emblezzled - at any rate Tax Payers money would only be wasted on some outlandish public works project or invading some foreign country or other.

Comment

You're surprised at all this sleaze?

Private Eye has been reporting this stuff all the time and I'm disgusted at what the people in power (supposedly for the good of the people not in power) get up to
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Which was the greater Crime ?

July 2007: George Galloway, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, Respect. Work on the Mariam Appeal, the campaign he set up to oppose UN sanctions on Iraq. Suspended for 18 days.

Jan 2008 Derek Conway embezzling Tax Payers money - suspended for 10 days

Remember folks - Its your vote that doesn't count ...

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                  You're surprised at all this sleaze?

Private Eye has been reporting this stuff all the time and I'm disgusted at what the people in power (supposedly for the good of the people not in power) get up to

I'm disgusted we can't use the same excuses ourselves.

For instance, in a few weeks time HMRC will say they've not received my self-assessment, so here's a £100 fine. But I can't say it was lost in the post, sorry, won't happen again, slap my wrist instead.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    For instance, in a few weeks time HMRC will say they've not received my self-assessment, so here's a £100 fine. But I can't say it was lost in the post, sorry, won't happen again, slap my wrist instead.

Not even if you have proof of posting - recorded delivery etc?

You should have done it online. Then you wouldn't suffer from this.
                    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
                    X