• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agile project failure rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agile project failure rate

I understand that two thirds of agile projects fail based on what I have heard.

I need to fine some evidence of Agile projects failure rates.

Google has given a long list on reasons Agile projects fail, but not any failure rates.

If anyone happens to know of anything that may be of use, I would be grateful.

I have worked on two agile projects - one a complete success, the other failed spectacularly.

Are you a bit worried about your first permie appraisal?

Comment

The 'talking ball' we used in our 'stand up' meetings was found impaled on a spike on top of the cloak rack... no one claimed responsibilty....

And you cannae prove nuffin!!!

Comment

Agile projects fail most often due to management interference. One of the main thrusts of agile is to remove the main cause of project failure: management, from the loop. If they get their oar back in then the project is doomed, in fact I'd term it an anti-pattern.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          I understand that two thirds of agile projects fail based on what I have heard.

Google has given a long list on reasons Agile projects fail, but not any failure rates.

If anyone happens to know of anything that may be of use, I would be grateful.

I have worked on two agile projects - one a complete success, the other failed spectacularly.
          Nothing wrong with agile methodology. The problem is that people who don't want to follow any process at all tend to invoke Agile as a get out clause for their shoddy work procedures, i.e. we don't need documentation we are working in an agile environment.......

If used properly in conjunction with good working practises and switched on developers/testers agile can be very effective. DO NOT use agile when working with an outsourced Indian coding team. IT WILL NOT WORK!!!! For an outsourced Indian team you need a structured process like the V model where you can constantly check that they are on target and get them to rework anything that is moving forward in the wrong direction. If you don't you will get a nasty shock at the end of the development phase....

Comment

Agile / RAD / Any other make-it-up-as-you-go-along projects usually fail when the person allocated to provide the user input and requirements has been picked because they are difficult, useless at their jobs, pregnant or on on-off sick leave (ie the business management want them out of the way). Rarely is the best person at the job allocated.

Developers like these methodolgies because you can start laying down (often sh1t) code from Day One rather than 'wasting time' actually finding out what's required.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

There you go, 50%.

If it's good enough for the Daily Mail...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
                There you go, 50%.

If it's good enough for the Daily Mail...
                It is the only metric I have!!

Lots of talk about good and bad in the tinterweb, but alas, no stats. It is sadly stats that makes management tick, meaning that they will not want agile anyway....

Comment

It is the only metric I have!!

Lots of talk about good and bad in the tinterweb, but alas, no stats. It is sadly stats that makes management tick, meaning that they will not want agile anyway....
                  From my experience, it's probably not far off the mark.

Comment

I avoid any job adverts where full-cycle is mentioned, or any such frameworks or methodologies.

My only exposure was on a project using Rational Rose and the guy running it didn't really have a clue. He kept getting some professional in to give him pointers and training.

Never seen what should have been such a simple system overcomplicated so fast. Needless to say the project got canned because it proved unsupportable and they couldn't iron out a few major flaws.

So while it may work if the people driving it have the skill, I find it an absolute pain in the arse. Same with many other overcomplicated ways of developing code. Much prefer to keep it simple. Usually that way it's easier to develop, maintain, support, and faster too.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X