• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Luxembourg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Luxembourg

I've been offered a twelve month contract in Luxembourg.

I am already registered as a limited company in the UK, so I'm intending on simply invoicing my client as usual.

What are the rules regarding paying taxes?

As this will be my first contract overseas, I'd appreciate any advice about working there.

Cheers
    Peat

look to the RHS of you screen

click on the link "overseas guides". This will tell you why using your Ltd is not a good idea

tim

Comment

Thanks tim - that gives me plenty to think about.

Comment

You can work for up to six months, but after that you´ll need to go "native", you couldn´t then claim any expenses. If you´re not travelling a lot then best to go through from the outset. If you stay in hotels then yoú won´t register, however, the hotels do send your details to the authorities so they would know you´re in Luxembourg.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          If you´re not travelling a lot then best to go through from the outset. If you stay in hotels then yoú won´t register, however, the hotels do send your details to the authorities so they would know you´re in Luxembourg.
          Read this a few times and not sue what it means

Thinking of contract in Luxembourg so after 6 months will be liable to local taxes. Seems I have a couple of options.
          1. go via umbrella
          2. set up local company and get local accountant to make sure i am compliant.
          3. Any others?

I have enough trouble getting my head round my uk company and accountant so thinking of going with umbrella for ease of use. don't mind paying correct local tax to be compliant, but obviously want to be as tax efficient as possible,

Anyone with practical experience in Luxembourg?

Comment

Probably the best is ITECS or another local Luxembourg company, and be an "employee". That way you've no UK tax to pay even if you're resident in the UK as well. Unfortunately that would mean you can't claim travelling expenses.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
              look to the RHS of you screen

click on the link "overseas guides". This will tell you why using your Ltd is not a good idea

tim
              If you are intending to commute (staying in a hotel), you will probably get away with using your limited - "flying under the radar" so to speak.

Also, nobody "works" in Luxembourg they just turn up and look & sound officious.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                you will probably get away with using your limited - "flying under the radar" so to speak.
                But would you bet your house on that?

Comment

...but if they do catch you you'll have a big bill to pay and the UK tax authorities probably won't refund anything.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    But would you bet your house on that?
                    Seeing as I don't own one, absolutely.

But it's a valid point - the main reason for not using your limited is that the tax authorities might consider you to be running your company from Lux/Belg etc. (and hence liable for corp. tax).

If you're flying home every weekend, it makes that much less likely.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X