• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Egg to ditch dodgy customers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egg to ditch dodgy customers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7222336.stm

Credit cards are to be withdrawn from 161,000 Egg customers who the company believes to be increasingly risky.

The provider is writing to 7% of its customers to give them 35 days notice of the withdrawal.

Cardholders will still be able to continue with minimum monthly repayments but will not be able to use their card after the deadline.

The move comes after a "one-off" review after the internet brand was bought by Citigroup last year.

Next step banks will be demanding loans and mortgages be repaid.

Doomed I tell yer!

Egg really are profiteering swine anyway! I got an egg card when they first came out, the rate was 9.9% and there was 2% cashback. Now the rate is 15.9 or 16.9 there's no cashback and the base rate is a lot lower now than it was then.

I was glad to see the back of my Egg card. I transferred all my worldly debts to someone more deserving!

Comment

I always thought Egg were pretty selective on who they lend to anyway.. I remember when I was a poor student and needed my first card I applied but was denied. Barclaycard, on the other hand, couldn't get enough of lending to me and I racked up several thousands in a year
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

F**kers! - they've done it to me. No idea why, I've got a limit of a few grand and I've got a balance of about £600 and haven't missed a payment or been over my limit ever!

What's the best way to annoy them? pay off the balance but leave about 2p on it? What will cause them the greatest administrative burden/maximum annoyance?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Cardholders will still be able to continue with minimum monthly repayments..
          That's nice of them.

I suppose they could have demanded full payment
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
            What will cause them the greatest administrative burden/maximum annoyance?
            Take maximum amount of debts and then kill yourself.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
              F**kers! - they've done it to me. No idea why, I've got a limit of a few grand and I've got a balance of about £600 and haven't missed a payment or been over my limit ever!

What's the best way to annoy them? pay off the balance but leave about 2p on it? What will cause them the greatest administrative burden/maximum annoyance?
              Congratulations! Welcome to the club! The club of people who have had a credit card withdrawn.

So, like me, you will now have a record on your credit history that will remain until six years after you have paid off the credit card.

NatWest did it to me when they got took over by the Royal Bank of Scotland. They lost the plot in customer services at that time. When I asked for a capital repayment holiday on a loan their reaction was to withdraw my accounts, the loan and my credit card.

You didn't want a mortgage or a loan or an overdraft facility or another credit card, did you? No? Just as well.

Happy days.
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Nice to know I'm dodgy.

Had a card for some years, generally spend approx 70k pa on it. All my expenses etc go through it.

It's paid in full every month. The only debt I carry is 500 quid on a mortgage, in fact I also have substantial liquid asset as well.

I'm quite impressed. Just what do you have to do to pass citis' lending criteria.

What it actually says is: The decision to end this agreement has been based on an assessment of the credit profile of this account in accordance with our credit strategies.

I suspect this means they are pissed at me because they can't stiff me with extortionate interest charges.

Bastards.

Edit: It does also say "We will not record adverse information with credit reference agencies just because we are ending your agreement". No well that won't have to will they. Just recording that they ended it ought to do the trick. Instance substantial minus in the rating process.
                Last edited by ASB; 1 February 2008, 19:29.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  Just what do you have to do to pass citis' lending criteria.
                  Make them profit, ie borrow a lot from them, buy insurance, and never pay in full - get deeper and deeper in debt and you will be their best customer (until you go bankrupt).

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    You didn't want a mortgage or a loan or an overdraft facility or another credit card, did you?
                    Or to subscribe to any service like telephone, sky, or the utilities such as electricity and gas; or to enter a rental agreement for a home?

Or a job working in finance? We are going to need loads of immigrants to do the jobs dishonest, feckless, and homeless British are not allowed to do.

Edit: since when has F ec kless a rude word?
                    Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 1 February 2008, 19:38. Reason: WTF!
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X