• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dragonfly IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragonfly IR35

Hi

I've been reading about the MKM and Dragonfly IR35 cases they seem to
    be concerned with the IR35 substitution clause and that once a contractor
    has gained product knowledge he's is not easily subsitutable - should we
    be worried about this - we are going to lose more IR35 cases or were these special cases?

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 October 2011, 12:18.

Don't tell anyone but right of substitution is a white elephant anyway, and it seems to be more down to whoever's judging whether you're caught or not as to how much weight they give it.

In all my years of contracting I've never known anyone actually exercise their right of substitution, if able to.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Permies (especialy shift workers) have a right of substitution anyway so I do not see why it should be regarded as a pointer to self employment.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        Permies (especialy shift workers) have a right of substitution anyway so I do not see why it should be regarded as a pointer to self employment.
        Well that's an interesting interpretation. "Can't be arsed to come to work today, boss, so I'm sending my brother"... Don't think so somehow.

They may be allowed to swap roles around, although I rather doubt it myself, they certainly can't sub their actual employment. That's why RoS, provided it's reasonably unfettered, means you ain't an employee. Dragnfly's ruling is probably wrong in law and is being appealed.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Appeals were born out of the fairground hoopla. Better luck next time. Oh and that's another 10 grand in fees, if you're lucky.

Amazing how many appeals succeed. So much for the legal system if it can't be relied on to get it right first time. At least there's no death penalty (yet!) with IR35.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            At least there's no death penalty (yet!) with IR35.
            Has there been another budget leak from Westminster?
            If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Brown View Post
              Has there been another budget leak from Westminster?
              Yes, the urinals are overflowing again. Now we know where Gordon's Gin comes from.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Well that's an interesting interpretation. "Can't be arsed to come to work today, boss, so I'm sending my brother"... Don't think so somehow.

They may be allowed to swap roles around, although I rather doubt it myself, they certainly can't sub their actual employment. That's why RoS, provided it's reasonably unfettered, means you ain't an employee. Dragnfly's ruling is probably wrong in law and is being appealed.
                Well it is all about interpretation, but on a number of jobs when I was a shift worker years ago we used to swap shifts when we wanted extra days off or needed a particular date that we were rostered for. I know lots of people who do it now. Hi boss I am doing Xs shift for whatever reason. Obviously it is limited to other employees (though I do know of one brother who turned up for a labouring shift) but it is an RoS.
                If we could argue that one well enough we could remove it from the IRs armoury too, eventualy they will have no "absolutes" to attack us with.

If I could prove that an employee of my client has this right does the fact that I dont mean I am not an employee?

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  Well it is all about interpretation, but on a number of jobs when I was a shift worker years ago we used to swap shifts when we wanted extra days off or needed a particular date that we were rostered for. I know lots of people who do it now. Hi boss I am doing Xs shift for whatever reason. Obviously it is limited to other employees (though I do know of one brother who turned up for a labouring shift) but it is an RoS.
                  If we could argue that one well enough we could remove it from the IRs armoury too, eventualy they will have no "absolutes" to attack us with.

If I could prove that an employee of my client has this right does the fact that I dont mean I am not an employee?
                  None of that is substitution as it's meant in terms of "right of substitution." That's merely "informal re-arrangement of the duty roster." The fact that somebody once got away with sending his brother into work just means that the management there didn't give a toss about which bodies they had on site, as long as they had the right number.

It would have been interesting to see the legal ramifications had said brother been involved in an accident whilst working there.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    None of that is substitution as it's meant in terms of "right of substitution." That's merely "informal re-arrangement of the duty roster." The fact that somebody once got away with sending his brother into work just means that the management there didn't give a toss about which bodies they had on site, as long as they had the right number.

It would have been interesting to see the legal ramifications had said brother been involved in an accident whilst working there.
                    Surely it does not matter what the arrangements are, the fact is that an employee does not have to turn up and do the work themselves. Another person is sent in their stead.

As the brother was a casual labourer I dont think there are any ramifications. He had just agreed a months work and then had to take some time off. These days the two are interchangeable in the building trade but both are pretty well occupied.

The thing that is annoying here is that HMG and the IR want to compare us to builders and other trades. They claim builders can send substitutes and so we must. They conveniantly forget that a lone builder has no subs to send and that a builders customer can refuse the sub.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X