• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SKA news

Coming soon - buckle up

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Coming soon - buckle up
    throw

Comment

Coming soon - buckle up
      So, 5 years+ in the making, remind us again how you're managing to pay the bills and afford to chase this dream, if it's not by sponging off the state?
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I am not getting benefits - never was actually: apart from student council tax discount when I was a student (almost 10 years ago), and single occupancy discount for my current place - maybe I should ask some local yobs if this amounts to "sponging off the state", or maybe I should ask you?

Comment

I am not getting benefits - never was actually: apart from student council tax discount when I was a student (almost 10 years ago), and single occupancy discount for my current place - maybe I should ask some local yobs if this amounts to "sponging off the state", or maybe I should ask you?
          So you're doing SKA part-time then whilst earning money from other means?

Just wondering, as I too would like to take time off to do such a project that may take a while to bear fruit, but it's funding it that worries me. Don't want to waste my stash on a pipe-dream if it turns out I'm as incompetent at doing anything like this on my own as I think I am.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

No, I've been working double full time for over 3 years now (65-70 hours per week).

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              So you're doing SKA part-time then whilst earning money from other means?

Just wondering, as I too would like to take time off to do such a project that may take a while to bear fruit, but it's funding it that worries me. Don't want to waste my stash on a pipe-dream if it turns out I'm as incompetent at doing anything like this on my own as I think I am.
              If you've ever started a pukka business from ground up, you'd know how much time,effort & cash it swallows up.
              Best if you can fund from your day job - but it means putting in long long nights & weekends
              I salute anyone who is chasing their dream and putting in the hours to make it happen.

I only wish we could force wannabe politicians to go through the process
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Best if you can fund from your day job - but it means putting in long long nights & weekends
                I am inclined to think now that the best time to work full-time on these things is during recession when contracts are scarce anyway and of low value, while earning stable bucks during boom time.

Personally I found it impossible to do any programming after normal crappy job which exhausted me way too much to do anything useful - perhaps it was a fairly long travel that was getting me, though it was only 1 hour driving, most likely I think it was carp job that really got me - you can't do anything of your own stuff in the office as it may get you fired and more importantly the employer may lay copyright on that work later.

We shall see how SKA NG plays out in the next few months.

Comment

To me the biggest hurdle was things like company literature, manuals, website etc...it surprised me how long it took to get a professional looking image.. didn't want to give it to a third party as the budget to get through the pilot was incredibly tight..and I wanted to see the take-up from the pilot before I 'bet the house' and put it on a stronger financial footing.

Are you in any way at a stage where you need to present SKA to a 3rd party to sell it?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I am inclined to think now that the best time to work full-time on these things is during recession when contracts are scarce anyway and of low value, while earning stable bucks during boom time.
                    I find it difficult to be given that opportunity to refocus as even in the 'recession' in IT following Y2K I was still landing good contracts. So for me the only time is when I choose to take time off.

Personally I found it impossible to do any programming after normal carppy job which exhausted me way too much to do anything useful - perhaps it was a fairly long travel that was getting me, though it was only 1 hour driving, most likely I think it was carp job that really got me - you can't do anything of your own stuff in the office as it may get you fired and more importantly the employer may lay copyright on that work later.
                    I understand where you're coming from. Even when staying in boring hotels away from friends and family, the last thing I feel like doing after a hard-day at the coal-face is to sit down and do more, even though it should be at least as important to me.

At least by contracting we don't have the issues of intellectual property we would have as permies! I think as a permie, whoever you're working for could claim IP rights on stuff you did in your spare time, unless the contract of employment is worded right?
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X