• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Criminals not hiding their domain name.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminals not hiding their domain name.

Got this email from:

[email protected]

WTH are they thinking. I can lookup the owner of the domain and report this scum !

Hello,

I want to ask your attention to receive money on my behalf and it will
    be for our mutual benefits.

Please call me if you are interested and on your response, I will send
    you the full details and more information about myself and the funds.

Yours sincerely,

Lawrence Stephen.
    Tel:+44 771 719 0188

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    Got this email from:

[email protected]

WTH are they thinking. I can lookup the owner of the domain and report this scum !

Hello,

I want to ask your attention to receive money on my behalf and it will
    be for our mutual benefits.

Please call me if you are interested and on your response, I will send
    you the full details and more information about myself and the funds.

Yours sincerely,

Lawrence Stephen.
    Tel:+44 771 719 0188
    Er, have you tried looking it up?

Are you sure that it is genuine?

Comment

My car has 4 rings. My girlfriend has none.
      Wrong, she has 3. Though you may prefer to use only two of them unless you like taking your Audi up dirt tracks.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        Er, have you tried looking it up?

Are you sure that it is genuine?
        It either a pay phone or identity collection fraud , I don't care. Unless someone's mail server was hacked - it is kinda stuipid to send an email like that from a registered domain name. It can be tracked.
        Last edited by 2uk; 3 February 2008, 14:50.

Comment

it is kinda stuipid to send an email like that from a registered domain name. It can be tracked.
          They buy domains using stolen credits cards using fake identities, all done from compomised PCs so even their IP is secret.

I recently had to deal with a high tech security matter and it turns out Gordon Brown must be so desperate to cut costs that they made UK's version of Cyber Police uncontactable, so you have to go through local police, and do you think local police is interested in this sort of stuff? Not at all.

Comment

It's just a spoofed e-mail address. The domain name is not even registered. Sadly SMTP allows you to have any return address for an e-mail, hence the large amounts of undeliverable mail spam I (used to) get.
            It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith View Post
              It's just a spoofed e-mail address. The domain name is not even registered. Sadly SMTP allows you to have any return address for an e-mail, hence the large amounts of undeliverable mail spam I (used to) get.
              Yep, wot Mrs S said.

They've got hold of myco's email address. I was getting loads of 'undeliverable - you're spam' messages until I set up my SPF (Sender Policy Framework) record with my ISP.

I only get a trickle of them now...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I recently had to deal with a high tech security matter and it turns out Gordon Brown must be so desperate to cut costs that they made UK's version of Cyber Police uncontactable, so you have to go through local police, and do you think local police is interested in this sort of stuff? Not at all.

Yep it is a croc!

The National High-Tech Crime Unit (NHTCU) was eaten up by SOCA the Serious Organised Crime Agency, the UK's equivalent to the FBI at least that's how it was soled when launched.

However, SOCA only concentrate on hi-tech crime stuff that's in the big league. Consequently the rest is not really on anyone's radar, so you'll find that local police station isn't really bothered.

The NHTCU use to be good place to go to.
                That boy go raaaaaaa
                Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Working...
                X