• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to manage the money in the Company in periods of inactivity ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to manage the money in the Company in periods of inactivity ?

I am having next contract working for another IT company. What should I do with the money in my Company during the 3 months I am not brining any money in. ?

1. Should I draw the accumulated dividend and not pay myself PAYE during these 3 months ? аBout 5k - , the rest of the money is corp tax money .

2. Tax wise , Should I keep paying my self – PAYE salary of 900 although no money will be coming in ? However, If I draw the 5 k in dividends , I will be paying my salary from tax money !
    Last edited by 2uk; 3 February 2008, 16:57.

You should keep paying your salary, as long as you can. After all, it's a salary. But as you're operating at a loss, you shouldn't really be paying dividends at all.

Don't spend the tax money.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      You should keep paying your salary, as long as you can. After all, it's a salary. But as you're operating at a loss, you shouldn't really be paying dividends at all.

Don't spend the tax money.
      Does this mean paying 900 monthly salary is always most tax efficiant regardless you are high/low tax payer ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
        Does this mean paying 900 monthly salary is always most tax efficiant regardless you are high/low tax payer ?
        I think you need an accountant. These are basics...

For example, the point of low salary/high divis is that you keep out of higher rate as long as possible. Or hadn't you twigged how that works yet?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          I think you need an accountant. These are basics...

For example, the point of low salary/high divis is that you keep out of higher rate as long as possible. Or hadn't you twigged how that works yet?
          I trust no one but CUK

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
            I trust no one but CUK
            There speaks a brave man. Foolish and misguided, but brave...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              There speaks a brave man. Foolish and misguided, but brave...
              Believe me , here you can get very good advice , be it "Ask your accountant" , which I normally do , but is awesome to have a second opinion.

Comment

Maybe start a new company for the new contract and close the current one?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

He can still pay out retained income from previous periods.

I would continue to pay out £5k salary, £30k/yr dividends, even if the company was not earning any income, up to the point there was no money left in the company.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
                    He can still pay out retained income from previous periods.

I would continue to pay out £5k salary, £30k/yr dividends, even if the company was not earning any income, up to the point there was no money left in the company.
                    Not quite - up to the point when any retained profits have been exhausted for dividend payments, and as long as you can afford it for salary. Don't forget a director has a legal duty not to trade an insolvent company, so you have to leave sufficient working capital for the usual bills and stuff like CT and VAT payments
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X