• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When will they ban guns?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will they ban guns?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02...ing/index.html

Or when will they have an effective licensing system.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Or when will they have an effective licensing system.

Yes, like the one we have in the UK because that is effective.

They should follow the model here - keep guns out of the hands of the law-abiding people so it is only the criminals that have them.

Comment

Criminals don't care about bans - it's the good citizens that don't commit crimes who suffer from such bans, in effect banning weapons is helping criminals to be safe in knowledge that victims won't have means of effective fight back.

Hand guns should be expensive and require insurance - perhaps the cost of it should be £500+ per year, heck, tax 'em - put the money into crime fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Hand guns should be expensive and require insurance - perhaps the cost of it should be £500+ per year, heck, tax 'em - put the money into crime fighting.
          Roughly the same reasoning as motor insurance companies increasing premiums for law-abiding citizens due to the number of uninsured cars on the roads. Is this really what you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Yes, like the one we have in the UK because that is effective.
            Yes. My FAC covers me for what I need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Yes. My FAC covers me for what I need to do.
              Yes, but you are never likely to rob a store or go on a killing rampage anyway are you?

My father has been a keen gun enthusiast all his life and is peeved as hell that over the last couple of decades the types that he is aloud to own has been enormously restricted.

Still, I doubt that bothers the criminals too much - do you think this guy had a Firearms Certificate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7220551.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

so it is only the criminals that have them.
                ... and politicians via their protection officers
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                  Roughly the same reasoning as motor insurance companies increasing premiums for law-abiding citizens due to the number of uninsured cars on the roads. Is this really what you want?
                  I want to legally own guns that I can use for self-defence: I accept that you can't hand out these things to everyone and it should not be cheap, I think if price of handgun is £1000+, and annual insurance is £300-500 (and maybe 25+ years old only can get them), then a lot of negative issues about hand guns will be addressed in full.

You don't have to own a car just like you don't have to own a gun - it's not for everyone, both should be expensive and this would cut off a lot of people who should not really own either - especially young F-reg Fiesta type of young people who should be spending time in library not speeding up in their banger on roads.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I want to legally own guns that I can use for self-defence: I accept that you can't hand out these things to everyone and it should not be cheap, I think if price of handgun is £1000+, and annual insurance is £300-500 (and maybe 25+ years old only can get them), then a lot of negative issues about hand guns will be addressed in full.

You don't have to own a car just like you don't have to own a gun - it's not for everyone, both should be expensive and this would cut off a lot of people who should not really own either - especially young F-reg Fiesta type of young people who should be spending time in library not speeding up in their banger on roads.
                    I think that the flaw in the argument here is that making things more expensive only makes the black market more attractive.

You could charge £10,000 for a legal handgun, but that will make no difference to the people that can pick them up on the street for £200.

Similar thing with cars. I don't remember uninsured drivers being something that was ever talked about when I were a lad. These days, the insurance costs so much, especially for the under 21s, that the incentive to avoid it is greater.

Comment

Working...
                    X