• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Leaseholds - what are the rent/fees ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Leaseholds - what are the rent/fees ?

I’ve been just shocked again ( can’t be surprised anymore ) that there is , yet , another rent to pay to own a flat in London – the Leasehold “fee” ..

Does this rent/fee apply only for properties in London ?

What will be the average leasehold monthly fee for 1 bedroom flat in London ?

I’ve found that – http://www.leaseholdguidance.co.uk/site/law

but it is not giving an idea of this fee.

I'd imagine the leasehold would vary considerably depending on whether the flat is in Chelsea or Catford. It's not exclusive to London by the way.

Comment

If you're talking about ground rent, payable by leaseholders to the freeholder, it's usually peanuts, typically of the order £100 per year.

(But that is for long-established leases, in Edwardian blocks. I don't know if it's a lot more for new builds, but I doubt it.)

What may be extortionate is service charges, especially if the house has been neglected and needs a massive refurbishment, or is a block with a porter.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 3 February 2008, 19:48.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        If you're talking about ground rent, payable by leaseholders to the freeholder, it's usually peanuts, typically of the order £100 per year.

(But that is for long-established leases, in Edwardian blocks. I don't know if it's a lot more for new builds, but I doubt it.)

What may be extortionate is service charges, especially if the house has been neglected and needs a massive refurbishment, or is a block with a porter.
        Yes , the ground rent I mean. Jeasus Christ , my friend was giving me a heart attack yesterday , saying that the ground rent can be 50 % of the property - he lives in Kensington in London...

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
          Yes , the ground rent I mean. Jeasus Christ , my friend was giving me a heart attack yesterday , saying that the ground rent can be 50 % of the property - he lives in Kensington in London...
          Its ye olde saxon cleverness. Twats are charged extra.

HTH
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Its ye olde saxon cleverness. Twats are charged extra.

HTH
            You call Londoners twats ? Oh dear ..

Comment

I am just going through a lease extension - another massive fee.

£20k to add 90 years to 67 existing on the lease.

As the lease diminishes in years the extension fee goes up - less than 70 years then the fee rockets up year on year.

Extend at your earliest convienience.

2.5 years ago my quotation was £9k.

There was also a change in the law - which I won't bore you with.

Ground rent on a 1920's building 1 bed was 8.59 a quarter with my lease extension has gone up to £232 a year with an instrument to increase it also.

Ground rent you *have* to pay or you can forfeit your lease and landlords are vultures waiting to pounce.

A mate of mine de-carpeted a section near his bathroom - his lease required all areas to be carpeted - they made him re-carpet this 1m section and charged him £350 for telling him to do so - or they would obstruct the sale.

Never underestimate the evilness of landlords.

This freehold - leasehold business is the stuff of fuedal times - the quicker we are in Europe then this bulltulip is abolished.

Comment

So that means , a leasehold property's price should also be impacted by the current lease expiration date... anyway , thanks very helpful

Comment

Suddenly property doesn't look so hot. Maybe the 'asset' isn't one after all. Enjoy the squeeze.

Comment

First place I bought was a flat lease hold bought it with 80 years on the lease the year the law changed regarding lease extension. I didnt know and socilitor never advised me, below 80 years you have to pay something like 50% of what the property would go up in value to increase the lease. I sold with 76 years on the lease, freehold was a tw*t and even charged me £500 for a licience to to sell the flat, each time a sale fell though and I got another buying it was another £500 for a new licience, even charged me £60 to put new double glazing in.

I would avoid lease holds if at all possible unless you get a massive lease and some gurantees on the service charge increases. I would never buy leasehold again it was a total nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                    X