• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies charging clients £120/hr

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies charging clients £120/hr

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7225180.stm

Hospitals have paid over £120 an hour for agency workers to cover for gaps in staffing, according to latest figures.

The highest amounts paid for an agency nurse were £121.59 an hour by the Royal Berkshire trust and £121.10 by the Chesterfield and Royal Hospital trust.

The figures for the past year were obtained by the Conservative Party under the Freedom of Information Act.

Last year, the Commons Public Accounts Committee said temporary nurses helped NHS flexibility but could be costly.

It's okay, it's only tax payers money.

A radiographer friend of mine laments how the temporary job market in the NHS became populated with 'preferred suppliers [of labour]'. No doubt the pedigree of such suppliers can be traced back New Labour's friends 'in business' who employ ex-double glazing salesmen to place healthcare staff.

Comment

I know of a project for a government department where IBM rolled in and replaced 8-10 staff with a team of 40+, no doubt charging full whack per person too. Funniest thing is, the IBM staff were so crap and had managers managing managers that it did take that many people to get the job done.

On a similar note, a friend who's going through a divorce said his solicitor charges £150/hour plus £25 per letter!

I think us IT contractors are selling ourselves too cheaply, or not directly enough. Wouldn't suprise me if the agency is creaming off 70% of those fees they charge the NHS. If the government had any nouse they'd ban agencies and set up their own in-house one, like many of the big corporates do.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Solicitors have got a scheme which qualifies for illegal cartel whose purpose is to restrict supply to the market and generally restrain competition. As the result not many can afford legal help and legal aid budget is going through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

On a similar note, a friend who's going through a divorce said his solicitor charges £150/hour plus £25 per letter!
          That's nothing. I know a solicitor who's charging £300 per hour and handles all basic admin himself, so when the bill comes it shows a full £300 for simply reading a one page letter, without the time to then reply to that letter.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7225180.stm

Hospitals have paid over £120 an hour for agency workers to cover for gaps in staffing, according to latest figures.

The highest amounts paid for an agency nurse were £121.59 an hour by the Royal Berkshire trust and £121.10 by the Chesterfield and Royal Hospital trust.

The figures for the past year were obtained by the Conservative Party under the Freedom of Information Act.

Last year, the Commons Public Accounts Committee said temporary nurses helped NHS flexibility but could be costly.

It's okay, it's only tax payers money.
            The same story on the front page of the metro this morning stated that agencies retain up to 45% of that figure.

Comment

Originally posted by super View Post
              That's nothing. I know a solicitor who's charging £300 per hour and handles all basic admin himself, so when the bill comes it shows a full £300 for simply reading a one page letter, without the time to then reply to that letter.
              No wonder people choose to represent themselves, thieving scum.

Still, if it weren't for governments rolling out endless laws that are incomprehensible to normal people we wouldn't need solicitors and lawyers.

Seeing as law is supposedly set in stone and not open to interpretation, how come no-one has knocked up a website where it's all automated? If doctors can use expert systems to diagnose illnesses, why not something similar for law? I suppose those with sufficient law knowledge are too busy fleecing people to be bothered.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Good point

I think you'll find that this already exists. I typed something on a search engine the other day and up came a few on-line solicitor firms that were prepared to dish out simple advice for as little as £ 20-30 per question. Maybe more for representation, but not bad as a starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Still, if it weren't for governments rolling out endless laws that are incomprehensible to normal people we wouldn't need solicitors and lawyers.
                  The problem is not that, but illegal cartel which is "Law Society" - their main job is to restrict supply, thus allowing themselves to charge ridiculous amounts of money - this is what results in high charges.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    The problem is not that, but illegal cartel which is "Law Society" - their main job is to restrict supply, thus allowing themselves to charge ridiculous amounts of money - this is what results in high charges.
                    Whilst there may be a barrier to entry, it is not a cartel controlled by "The law society".

It is controlled by the number of people that colleges are ready, willing and able to train (and exam).

Anybody who qualifies can become a member of "The law society" and start up in practice for themself.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X