• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dirty trick?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty trick?

Hi I'm new to contracting, trying to get to get my first (proper) contract.

I have a job interview tomorrow which I seem to have all the qualifications for,
    however the agent said on the phone that 'we have a zero day notification time, is this ok?'

This seems to fit in with the dirty tricks list located here http://www.contractoruk.com/news/00430.html

6. They’ll put a clause in your contract that they and the client company can terminate you with a month’s (or a week’s) notice, but that you have no notice period with them.

Can someone explain what the dirty trick is in this case?

The company is Progressive, the women said that I would get paid firstly after one month, and then every week after. Am I being conned so that they can get rid of me before a month without paying for me or something?

Thanks!

I had this clause in my last contract and didn't think anything of it. As far as I'm concerned this is what contracting is all about, you can be terminated at the toss of a coin. As for not paying you for the first month this is rubbish. There is no reason for them not to pay you on a weekly basis straight away. I would assume the only reason they are doing this is because its your first contract and they think they can take advantage of you. You can be sure they'll be invoicing the client weekly...

I wouldn't take the risk of being paid per month I've always insisted per week.

Comment

Who is the company again? Maybe members of the board could offer their thoughts on this agency.

Now remember guys an gals, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Who is the company again? Maybe members of the board could offer their thoughts on this agency.

Now remember guys an gals, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
        I'd better shut up then

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
          I had this clause in my last contract and didn't think anything of it. As far as I'm concerned this is what contracting is all about, you can be terminated at the toss of a coin. As for not paying you for the first month this is rubbish. There is no reason for them not to pay you on a weekly basis straight away. I would assume the only reason they are doing this is because its your first contract and they think they can take advantage of you. You can be sure they'll be invoicing the client weekly...

I wouldn't take the risk of being paid per month I've always insisted per week.
          Its up to you what terms you agree, but if a client said they can terminate me with 0 notice, then I insist that I should be able to terminate the contract with 0 notice too...

Comment

Agree, if it's not the same both ways they can shove it as far as I'm concerned.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
            X