• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home size more accurate than water meters!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home size more accurate than water meters!

And there's me thinking a water meter accurately measured the amount of water you were using.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7227793.stm

Water bills will be determined by the size of customers' homes under a new billing system from Thames Water.
    Household bills currently based on an average metered bill will be placed in one of three bands based on the number of bedrooms at the property.

Thames said the system would better reflect the amount of water households use and result in lower bills.

It said 24,000 one or two bedroom properties would see their bills drop to £200 or £217 a year from £245.

However, 11,500 homes with three or more bedrooms would see their bills increase to £266 from £245.

Thames said it made the changes after a customer survey last year.

I'm hoping (for this approach to make any sense at all) that an average metered bill is where households don't yet have a dedicated water meter?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

How do Thames Water know how many bedrooms I have?

Comment

Surely it should be based on the people living there.

Me in a 3 bed is going to use less water than a family of 4 in a 3 bed.

Mugs.

Comment

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
        How do Thames Water know how many bedrooms I have?
        They don't, and water meters are obviously far more accurate and fair (where they're installed).

I reckon the water companies have been pressurized into this ridiculous bedroom counting system, in an attempt to justify the Government's unconstitutional plan for councils to demand entry into peoples' homes for a council tax revaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Surely it should be based on the people living there.

Me in a 3 bed is going to use less water than a family of 4 in a 3 bed.

Mugs.
          Water Poll Tax! I think this probably has more to do with not wanting the expense of fitting a water meter to every house - plus it allows them to justifyplacing low users into a higher bracket. How do they know that I don't take more than one bath a year and that I don't wash my clothes/pots/car

Any means of estimating will have winners and losers - that is why it is an estimate and not an accurate (expensive) measure. Somebody could try to estimate my use of bog rolls but I suspect that they would overestimate this based on the fact that I try to get as many of my poos on the timesheet - so to speak.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

seems like a good and fair idea to me

Milan.

Comment

Calculating water consumption by sq meter of space HAS to be the most idiotic reasoning ever.

Pay for what you consume measured by a meter - simple.

Like the rest of the world and the other utilities.

I am astonished that people/dunces get paid for coming up with this.

Comment

Fishy,

they're not the dunces

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
                  I am astonished that people/dunces get paid for coming up with this.
                  Thames said the system would better reflect the amount of water households use
                  Did anyone say 'fairer'

and result in lower bills
                  Ahh spin...lurve it
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

In the backward country of Cyprus they have a water meter. You pay for what you use.

Stoneage numpties I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X