• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Traditional Pancake Day races

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Pancake Day races

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/7227897.stm

Cancelled due to Health & Safety grounds!

But this year's event has been shelved, with organisers blaming the mountain of risk assessments that must be carried out before children can take part.

Bernard Bateman, one of the organisers, said they were told they would have to pay £250 to Harrogate Borough Council to close Kirkgate Road, where the race takes place.

They would also have to hold insurance risk assessments and pay to have medical staff on hand in case of any injuries or accidents.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

That's a shame. I was about to chase some scrotes down the street with my frying pan. Only time I've got an excuse, as long as I remember to put a pancake in it.

Will have to wait till Easter now, when I can chase them with a hard boiled ostrich egg. Now where's that wooden spoon.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

As this is just up the road, I'll stick my oar in.

The real issue seems to be that they are getting little in the way of support and have to pay £250 to close the road. The H&S just makes a good daily mail type story for the loacl rag.

Comment

They should have thought about holding it in the local park then. You do still have green stuff around your way or is it now a Tescos?
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Isn't Harrogate one of the few (if, even, the only) postal districts to have held out against the evil of Tescos?
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Indeed Tesco is in York or Leeds.
            Harrogate has waitrose.

Reading the article in the local paper its a combination of cost and lack of volunteers. ie. apathy.

Didnt stop them going for H&S horror on the front page though.

The point is that it was held just outside the cathedral. Morrisons car park isnt the same.

http://www.ripongazette.co.uk/ripon-...off.3732774.jp

Comment

Working...
            X