• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coal

King Coal

I'm alright Jack

Whats Arthur Scarghill doing these days ? How did his new political party get on ?

tosser

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Coal? how mundane. Sothebys' evening sale tonight just took £116m and it only had 77 paintings. Including £400k for a dull Klimt pencil sketch that I wouldn't even hang in the bog.

Comment

Yes but that little lot is not going to keep the fires burning for very long is it. You cannot substitute burning expensive art as a means of producing power
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I was chatting to an old geezer engineer chappie t'other day about power generation - he reckoned coal was viable as long as it wasn't dug out (as in by miners) in the traditional way.

He reckoned the best way was to leave the stuff in the ground and use super heated steam to turn it into coke & then dig it out.

Also while pondering cladding my house in photovoltaic cells I found that they now have cells that use sunlight to split water molecules into Hydrogen - only seems to be 10% efficient at the moment but if you can use sunlight to produce Hydrogen then collecting & using for car power & electric generation would appear to be a step away!

http://www.hydrogensolar.com/index.html
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Also while pondering cladding my house in photovoltaic cells I found that they now have cells that use sunlight to split water molecules into Hydrogen - only seems to be 10% efficient at the moment but if you can use sunlight to produce Hydrogen then collecting & using for car power & electric generation would appear to be a step away!

http://www.hydrogensolar.com/index.html
            The biggest problem with hydrogen is storage rather than manufacture. If you’ve a cheap energy source hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis at around 50-70% efficiency. But it then needs some chemical wizardry or cryogenics to get it anywhere close to the energy density of hydrocarbons for use as a fuel.

Comment

Working...
            X