• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants weekly progress reports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client wants weekly progress reports

One of the PMs wants us all to fill out a progress report on a weekly basis showing summary of work done, work coming up and issues etc. On the template, it says "Team Member: <insert name>"

Apart from this being a piss poor substitute for him actually coming over and talk to everyone individually, what sort of impact does this have on IR35? If I have to start filling out to weekly reports etc does this make me more of an employee rather than a consultant providing services? Or am I being over cautious?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    a piss poor substitute for him actually coming over and talk to everyone individually
    I've had carp like that before (as a permie). Sounds like a piss poor excuse for him actually doing any work. All he'll do is cut 'n paste the contents of your report and jobs a good 'en.

Most PM's I've worked with are tulip, they need pulling along like a stray dog.

Have you reached the point of wanting to slap him yet?

Not sure on the IR35 implications of all this though.
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

I would send in "progress updates" by email, avoiding the template.

Comment

I produce my own weekly 'highlight report'. Voluntarily, I might add. I have been held up as a shining example of good practise and the permies hate me...

Comment

When I was doing one short term gig from home about 18 months ago I was making daily email reports, very short explanation of what is done today and plans for tomorrow and how it all leads to objective, possible issues etc. The PM loved those emails, and I kind of liked them too - helps to self-organise, important when you work from home.

Comment

huh? I can't remember any project that I was on where I didn't have to produce progress report?? where have you been working??

You got deliverable A, B and C.... consider the report deliverable D... so in D each week say how far you got on with deliverable A, B and C...

Its just another work deliverables, what's the IR35 to do with it??

Sounds to me you guys don’t have much progress going on, and you are struggling how to fill in your progress report… get on with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              When I was doing one short term gig from home about 18 months ago I was making daily email reports, very short explanation of what is done today and plans for tomorrow and how it all leads to objective, possible issues etc. The PM loved those emails, and I kind of liked them too - helps to self-organise, important when you work from home.

Were they anything like your SKA progress posts here

Comment

I normaly attach a report with each weeks time sheet. The time sheet states that the works completed on the attached report are complete and of a suitable standard. I also take the opportunity of pointing out any issues that I have seen coming wich may impact on the delivery of future agreed work.

I see this as professional and business like.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Yeah I guess so. Cheers boys and girls.

I know that keeping others updated with progress is important but I just had that 'being integrated into the company' feeling because it was a blanket email to all on the programme, permies and contractors.
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                    Yeah I guess so. Cheers boys and girls.

I know that keeping others updated with progress is important but I just had that 'being integrated into the company' feeling because it was a blanket email to all on the programme, permies and contractors.
                    Modify the report youhave to fill in to include your company logo and complete it as an employee of your company.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X