• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland plan high speed metro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland plan high speed metro

Switzerland are soon to vote on building a Maglev system. Basel to Zürich 15 minutes, with a shuttle leaving every 7 minutes.

Apparently it will only cost CHF2'000'000'000.

The idea will be to link up all the cities and regions of Switzerland, and eventually link up with other cities in Europe.

Top/cruising speed - over 300mph.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

after this and last morning's trouble on the London Underground Jubilee line problems / delays .. this makes me sick.

WE ARE LAGGING BEHIND PEOPLE. Wake up England.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Switzerland are soon to vote on building a Maglev system. Basel to Zürich 15 minutes, with a shuttle leaving every 7 minutes.

The idea will be to link up all the cities and regions of Switzerland, and eventually link up with other cities in Europe.

Top/cruising speed - over 300mph.
      It will link up most of the cities in Europe but stop dead when it comes to linking up London (always assuming it wants to that is).
      Apart from the logistics of crossing the channel - I guess the Tunell will have to be modified - as soon as it reaches Dover (or wherever the English terminal is) people will have to de-train and get on the slow UK train service to Waterloo, which will take twice as long to go half the distance they have already travelled.

It's like flying to Paris from London. The actual flight takes less than half an hour yet you spend twice that long waiting around in Heathrow and twice as long waiting around in Charles De Gaulle Airport and at least an hour to get from each of the airports into the respective cities so the whole journey takes at least half a day.
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

WE ARE LAGGING BEHIND PEOPLE. Wake up England.

What's stopping you moving to Swizerland if you're so miserable then ?

Plenty of work out there and a lowish tax regime too.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

So that's 266 CHF per person for a railway that most of them won't use.

But I can't actually see where you got this figure from.

http://www.swissmetro.ch/downloads/s...ericht_eng.pdf

shows the cost at 4 billion CHF and that's just for building the tunnel. Adding the electrical propulsion system and the mechanical system (I think that's code for the actual train carriages) is another 1 and a half billion.

So that 600 CHF per person (or more realistically around 1000 CHF per voter) for a system that 80% of the population won't even get to use.

Revenue estimated at 250 million. As that's less than the interest charge, it will never ever pay off the construction costs.

I can see that winning the popular vote - Not!

tim

Comment

I like Switzerland. They have legal gun ownership and also nuclear bunkers for whole of population.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
              It will link up most of the cities in Europe but stop dead when it comes to linking up London (always assuming it wants to that is).
              It will do nothing of the sort.

Almost every country in Europe has looked at building a Maglev and have come to the same conclusion. It's too flipping expensive and not a cost effective way to solve the problem.

There will not be a European network of Maglevs in Europe in my (or your) lifetime.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I like Switzerland. They have legal gun ownership and also nuclear bunkers for whole of population.
                Are foreigners allowed either of those?

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                  It will do nothing of the sort.

Almost every country in Europe has looked at building a Maglev and have come to the same conclusion. It's too flipping expensive and not a cost effective way to solve the problem.

There will not be a European network of Maglevs in Europe in my (or your) lifetime.

tim
                  Speak for yourself!!!

When I'm cruising around the world on my bionic legs enjoying the pleasure of my third heart grown specifically to replace the duff ones with my wife on my arm looking 18 again when I'm 173 I may well decide to cross europe using the spiffing Maglev network.

Of course you may be planning to be to poor to take advantage of the advances in medical science, but I don't !!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Are foreigners allowed either of those?
                    Permanent residents (C-permit holders) have the same rights to have guns as Swiss citizens.

All residents have (or can have) access to nuclear bunkers. Most houses and apartment blocks have them. There's also communal ones that you can buy into. ( Not sure how that would work for a tenant of a flat or house without a bunker ). Houses and flats built now are no longer obliged to have a bunker, I believe, but all the ones I've seen under construction, do.

Certainly, when I looked at building a house, the plans all included a bunker.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X