• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension or New Contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension or New Contract?

Was supposed to complete this contract end of Feb, so applied for other contracts… a week ago I am told the client has renewed for another 2 months, I said fine… then today I get a call feedback from interview I did, and got an offer of 6 months…
    6 months are better than 2 months right? Only I was told most likely I’d get renewed after the 2 months but there is no guarantees…. I obviously prefer the 6 months, but I know there are no guarantees in any post….

Does my verbal acceptance of the extension hold me to this contract? I still haven’t received any written confirmation; in fact the agency hasn’t received any paperwork at all!!

So am thinking of telling my present agency am not renewing, hence will end the contract as agreed end of Feb, but worried they are going to say as I accepted the extension, I need to work my 4 weeks notice.... Would love to invoke my substitution clause, but don't know anyone with my high quality rare skills <---- sarcastic comment btw

Just phone up your current agent and make some ridiculous contract demands for accepting the extension and then say you won't take it when they aren't put in.

Good ones are as follows:
    • £2,000 to be paid to <sandydown's company> whenever a UFO is spotted. (Whenever you see something in the sky ask the boss what make and model it is. When he can't answer mark it down as unidentified)
    • £100 call out fee to be invoked every time somebody calls you on the phone. (Make sure you send lots of e-mails asking the client to call you on your phone to discuss things)

Comment

It's a verbal agreement subject to acceptance of contractual terms. Nothing more, nothing less...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Say the 6 monther pays a lot more, so if they want to keep you they know what to do. Either up the rate or extend the length.

May be a bit of a gamble if you like it where you are. Two months in an ok place is a lot better than 6 months in a potential nightmare.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Be nice, explain you have been offered something more long term and in the current market conditions etc.....

If they kick up a stink quote ratewhore
          http://www.bluejumper.com

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Say the 6 monther pays a lot more, so if they want to keep you they know what to do. Either up the rate or extend the length.

May be a bit of a gamble if you like it where you are. Two months in an ok place is a lot better than 6 months in a potential nightmare.
            Good point - I'd go for the six monther, though. I can tolerate anything for a short-term contract for enough money.

Well, almost anything.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
              Was supposed to complete this contract end of Feb, so applied for other contracts… a week ago I am told the client has renewed for another 2 months, I said fine… then today I get a call feedback from interview I did, and got an offer of 6 months…
              6 months are better than 2 months right? Only I was told most likely I’d get renewed after the 2 months but there is no guarantees…. I obviously prefer the 6 months, but I know there are no guarantees in any post….

Does my verbal acceptance of the extension hold me to this contract? I still haven’t received any written confirmation; in fact the agency hasn’t received any paperwork at all!!

So am thinking of telling my present agency am not renewing, hence will end the contract as agreed end of Feb, but worried they are going to say as I accepted the extension, I need to work my 4 weeks notice.... Would love to invoke my substitution clause, but don't know anyone with my high quality rare skills <---- sarcastic comment btw
              It rather depends on whether you can live with being called 'petal' or 'sweetheart' or 'luvvy' from that old boy you sit next to for another four months.

You could make that a condition of the extension.
              Last edited by Denny; 6 February 2008, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                It rather depends on whether you can live with being called 'petal' or 'sweetheart' or 'luvvy' from that old boy you sit next to for another four months.

You could make that a condition of the extension.
                Sandy works with Churchill?

(Get the tea on, love)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Sandy works with Churchill?

(Get the tea on, love)
                  She can't be. Otherwise, she would have bolted long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post

I would ask for 6 months from your current employer.

How's the weather in England?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X