• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Netherlands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Netherlands

Seems to me there are more and more NL contracts asking for Dutch speakers. Is there any point in learning Dutch in order to be able to go for those, or do they generally mean native speakers?

Everybody in Holland speaks English - mainly because nobody at all speaks Dutch. If they don't understand you then the fall back position of shouting slowly and pointing works really well - as does violence.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've been working in Holland since August, never had a problem with Dutch people not speaking english, even the KFC staff speak better english than their English counterparts
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Try asking for a cup of tea in Norway...

PS: this is my first point in General this year
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I was there for a year and was amazed how they all speak English. Lovely country, lovely people. Sort your tax arrangements out before you go (if you go)

J

Comment

You'll find things are cheaper if you can speak a bit of the local lingo.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

OK, guys, focus please! I already know that everybody speaks English in Holland and one has no trouble there not speaking Dutch.

The question is, will learning Dutch help me to get those contracts that specify "Dutch speaker", or do they really mean native Dutch speaker so that learning mid-level foreigner's Dutch will not help?

Comment

Yes I would think so. Tall order though. I'm sure you can find another contract before you are fluent

Comment

Having worked there for 3 years -

1 No matter whow hard you try to converse in Dutch - th Dutch will always reply in English

2 After a year they will complain bitterly about your lack of Dutch speaking skills - in English of course .

GOTO 1

Before I lived in Holland I could spek German so despite the fact that I could read and understand Dutch - after a couple of years - they still wont speak Dutch with you.

Catch 22

If the advertisement says Dutch speaker they really mean a Dutch person (but cant because of discrimination legislation)- thats because , their work culture is alien to what we know - dont be fooled by their fluency in English - if you do not understand Dutch culture ie you are not Dutch - you will make many geaffes in the workplace - seen many a UK contrcator come to grief over this - eg the Dutch do not haev managers as we undersand - its all from the Polder system .

You Aint much - if you Aint Dutch

Bottom Line - Learning Dutch is futile because they want a Dutch person - not speaker .Learn a language where the natives appreciate your efforts - eg German of French.
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 7 February 2008, 12:25.

Comment

Just ask Sasguru, DA or Brillo Pad or any of the regulars on the 'General' forum. They all speak fluent Double Dutch so they should be of help to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X