• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Northern Rock in the public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Rock in the public sector

Northern Rock now in the public sector

Along with Royal Mail, the NHS etc. Does this mean that the UK government now effectively owns 20% of the UK housing market.

Is this good or bad ?
    I'm alright Jack

More important would be if (and I can't see this being avoided) the money guaranteed by the Govt will be counted as part of public debt, this would increase debt ratio of GDP considerably.

So much for prudence of Mr Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      More important would be if (and I can't see this being avoided) the money guaranteed by the Govt will be counted as part of public debt, this would increase debt ratio of GDP considerably.

So much for prudence of Mr Brown.
      This is NOT happening. Brown has managed to avoid this. I can't remember how, but I read that he had.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        This is NOT happening. Brown has managed to avoid this. I can't remember how, but I read that he had.
        He has not avoided anything - there is no private sale yet and even if it happens then Govt had to put guarantee on £30 bln of bonds in effect making them gilts - this is likely to go on the books, though I am sure Brown is very experienced with accounting scams like PPI that shifts lots of public debt off the books. Enron style accounting that is

Comment

this could be really good for the Northern Rock,

might it make the Northern Rock the safest place to keep your money as it is backed by the tax payer ?

Milan.

Comment

does this mean they won't do joint mortgages because this would be debt shifting ?
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
              does this mean they won't do joint mortgages because this would be debt shifting ?
              They won't be doing many morgages now - they will offer very high non-competitive rate so that their customers have to take morgage from somewhere else thus repaying amount to the firm, which in turn will repay it back to the taxpayer. The main issue here is that if house prices fall and people get negative equity then they simply won't be able to get another morgage and will have to stay with NR.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                They won't be doing many morgages now - they will offer very high non-competitive rate so that their customers have to take morgage from somewhere else thus repaying amount to the firm, which in turn will repay it back to the taxpayer. The main issue here is that if house prices fall and people get negative equity then they simply won't be able to get another morgage and will have to stay with NR.

my mortgage "fixed rate" period is up in October this year, can't move til then as they want £7k fees....
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I'm just waiting for the day all those Northern Crock mortgage holders get a knock on the door from the council saying the home is now their property, and they need it to move in a single mother or a family of immigrants.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

NR is offering one year bonds with rather good 6.7% interest rate
                    are they any good

Comment

Working...
                    X