• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

public sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

public sector

looking at the hrs you guys putin ( working hrs thread) it seems public sector offers best work/life balance . have worked there 10 to 3( if meeting start at 10), 1.5 hr lunches, can pop into gym. tea breaks - 30mins/day. And still no work between. Well thats alright, but agree rates are tulip.

Anybody else at public sector right now.

Originally posted by newbee View Post
    looking at the hrs you guys putin ( working hrs thread) it seems public sector offers best work/life balance . have worked there 10 to 3( if meeting start at 10), 1.5 hr lunches, can pop into gym. tea breaks - 30mins/day. And still no work between. Well thats alright, but agree rates are tulip.

just finishing today...

job is easy but you have to deal with Civil Servants, who mostly don't live in the real world and could never hold down a job in the public sector.

In my opinion the CS is full of either:

1, Lazy barstewards
    2. Oddballs who are socially inept
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Pub ic sector

Not wishing to be pessimistic here, but if your last contract was a Gov't one (esp. NHS), you may find it hard to go back to the private sector, more so in difficult times. I've done one contract at the HO (not the best or worst place I've been) and that was enough. Some top banks just wouldn't take anyone in a senior role (PM etc) that has that sort of 'experience'.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
        Not wishing to be pessimistic here, but if your last contract was a Gov't one (esp. NHS), you may find it hard to go back to the private sector, more so in difficult times. I've done one contract at the HO (not the best or worst place I've been) and that was enough. Some top banks just wouldn't take anyone in a senior role (PM etc) that has that sort of 'experience'.

It's ok already been offered next role in Public Sector.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          It's ok already been offered next role in Public Sector.
          Same here have found contract after gigging with publice sector. its not too bad, cannot talk about banking sector though since I am currently trying for that.
          umm maybe publice sector expereince is a downfall if want to get into banking

Comment

Same here have found contract after gigging with publice sector. its not too bad, cannot talk about banking sector though since I am currently trying for that.
            umm maybe publice sector expereince is a downfall if want to get into banking
            No - lack of banking experience is a downfall if you want to get into banking.
            If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
              No - lack of banking experience is a downfall if you want to get into banking.
              catch 22 for me

Comment

Need help with spelling too

'publice sector expereince' ???

Where is the spelling police when you need them?

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                  'publice sector expereince' ???

Where is the spelling police when you need them?
                  Pubis ?
                  Kneel before Bod

Comment

Yep - riding the public sector gravy train. Don't know where you're looking for tulip rates - I'm on the highest I've ever been on at the moment.

They are also known as "yacht projects" - if you prolong it enough, you earn enough to buy a nice yacht.

That said - for the first time since June, I now have LOADS of work to do in a very short timescale. I anticipate being here until 8pm most nights for a while now.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X