• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greetings, Anyone used consultant-tech

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings, Anyone used consultant-tech

Hello all

long term lurker, first time poster

been a permy for 6years, looking at contracting, want to make the "break in" as easy as possible. So i decided to use a company to manage tax/paper work.

Could anyone kindly advise if they have used:

http://www.consultant-tech.co.uk/

their fees seem quite high at 10% (i think)

Anyone have any comment on them or if they recommend anyone else?

many thanks in advance

i'll take the silence as a no

I'm guessing I should be looking at another company then, can anyone kindly recommend a company which allow you to keep about 80% of what you bill?

thanks in advance

Comment

How muc you keep after taxes depends upon your situation, clearly working through a ltd company is the most efficient.

I use nixon williams and find them very good.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by uk-newbie View Post
        Could anyone kindly advise if they have used:

http://www.consultant-tech.co.uk/
        Hello newbie.

I've never heard of them nor anyone thats used them. The lack of replies I guess confirms this.

As Waldorf says, limited is the most efficient way of working and I'm also a Nixon Williams client. They are all good, no complaints from me either.

I wouldn't bank on keeping 80% of your earnings though! Expect between 70-75% tops via a limited company. Also don't forget to consider our friend IR35, your PCG membership (optional but worthwhile), insurances and other setup costs (laptop, phone etc).

If you want an "easy start" as you say, you could use an umbrella solution (also referred to as brollies). Have you read the PCG guide to freelancing and all the "First Timer" stuff yet? You could learn heaps from those. Don't get suckered in by some of the "calculators" these companies have on their sites. They are a bit colourful with your take home pay and assume you'll be claiming maximum expenses. Bottom line is you can't claim for expenses you haven't incurred (you'll need a receipt too) even if you don’t need to provide one to the umbrella, if the IR come knocking you’ll need the proof!

A brolly might be the way to go to get started, or if you're planning on sticking it out as a contractor, limited is the way to go. Have a good read over the weekend and see if it's for you (or not). It’s not for everyone.
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

thanks very much indeed for the replies, very helpful

i may follow the general advise and "follow the herd" for the 1st few months while i work out whats what and go LTD from there,

thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X