• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Virgin!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting Virgin!

Hi,
    Just been offered a contract with <client> (Telecoms) in Ipswich through a Recruitment agency. I am currently working as a "permie". but the offer of over 3x my current annual salary is too good to turn down!

Is it normal to not have an interview with the end client ? I was supposed to have a telephone interview with <client>, but the agency phoned me last week and said it was cancelled and they wanted me to start ASAP.

I am going with a Umbrella company to start with, as the initial contract is for 3 months extend able to 12 months.

I have asked the agency to speak to someone at <client> to ensure in my own mind that I am the right man for the job, but keep getting a " Technical Engineer" from the Agency, who keeps saying everything will be fine as they picked you from your C.V. I haven't lied or anything on my C.V. so everything should be fine??

They wanted me to start in 2 weeks, but I have only just got my contract through, and now they want references! I don't want to hand in my notice with my current employer until this job is certain, but that won't leave me long enough on my notice period.

I have already told the Agency that I wanted the contract start date put back as they have taken so long to get the contract out to me.

They Agency were chasing me to accept for about a week as they said they wanted me to start ASAP, but once I agreed verbally to the job, they started taking their time getting everything sorted out.

One part of the contract with the Umbrella company states " The Employer reserves the right to lay you off without pay, if this is considered necessary" Is that normal?

I am not exactly sure what the job entails as the job description is that vague, and worry that when I get down there, I will be on some sort of trial to see if I can really do the job.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Last edited by happySkye; 7 February 2008, 20:23. Reason: spelling

Originally posted by happySkye View Post
    Hi,
    Just been offered a contract with XXXXXXXXXa Recruitment agency. I am currently working as a "permie". but the offer of over 3x my current annual salary is too good to turn down!

Is it normal to not have an interview with the end client (XXXXXhis case)? I was supposed to have a telephone interview with BXXXXXXthe agency phoned me last week and said it was cancelled and they wanted me to start ASAP.

I am going with a Umbrella company to start with, as the initial contract is for 3 months extendable to 12 months.

I have asked the agency to speak to someone at XXXXXnsure in my own mind that I am the right man for the job, but keep getting a " Technical Engineer" from the Agency, who keeps saying everything will be fine as they picked you from your C.V. I haven't lied or anything on my C.V. so everything should be fine??

They wanted me to start in 2 weeks, but I have only just got my contract through, and now they want references! I don't want to hand in my notice with my current employer until this job is certain, but that won't leave me long enough on my notice period.

I have already told the Agency that I wanted the contract start date put back as they have taken so long to get the contract out to me.

They Agency were chasing me to accept for about a week as they said they wanted me to start ASAP, but once I agreed verbally to the job, they started taking their time getting everything sorted out.

One part of the contract with the Umbrella company states " The Employer reserves the right to lay you off without pay, if this is considered necessary" Is that normal?

I am not exaxtly sure what the job entails as the job destription is that vague, and worry that when I get down there, I will be on some sort of trial to see if I can really do the job.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Hello HappySkye welcome to CUK

It sounds to me that you are mostly being sensible - couple of questions.

How long is the notice on your current permie job? Who wants the references?

Personally I dont like jobs without interviews - but I have always had at least 1 per job. You have no chance to find out what they are like and what they are looking for. Suppose it is in skills you dont have or dont want to do. You sound as if you could pick up whatever it is they want - but it is hard to tell from one post.

I once had a one week interview on site - it sounds similar?

Sometimes you just have to go for it - do you feel lucky punk?

All the very best whatever you decide.
    BrilloPad
    PS some of the veterans here will be along to beast you later - dont worry they are (mostly) harmless. One day you will be a veteran and can beast a newbie too!
    Last edited by BrilloPad; 7 February 2008, 20:43.

Comment

happy - are you crazy?? you idiot ?? delete reference to your client !! too late not cuz others quoted it already

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Hello HappySkye welcome to CUK

It sounds to me that you are mostly being sensible - couple of questions.

How long is the notice on your current permie job? Who wants the references?

Personally I dont like jobs without interviews - but I have always had at least 1 per job. You have no chance to find out what they are like and what they are looking for. Suppose it is in skills you dont have or dont want to do. You sound as if you could pick up whatever it is they want - but it is hard to tell from one post.

I once had a one week interview on site - it sounds similar?

Sometimes you just have to go for it - do you feel lucky punk?

All the very best whatever you decide.
        BrilloPad
        PS some of the veterans here will be along to beast you later - dont worry they are (mostly) harmless. One day you will be a veteran and can beast a newbie too!
        My current notice period is 4 weeks, but my current employer is unlickly to hold me to that as they won't want me visiting clients after I have handed in my notice. I don't want to mess my current employer around, and want to give them as much notice as possible.

The agent is asking my umbrella company for references from me! so no doubt the umbrella company will be asking me for them soon.

I am just a bit surprised that any employer thinks I am worth this much money to be honest!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
          happy - are you crazy?? you idiot ?? delete reference to your client !! too late not cuz others quoted it already
          Hmm.... One guess where a shed load of agents and contractors looking for XXX work in XXX are going to be looking, possible at the expense of the guy who posted this.....

Makes me feel not so daft after all
          Last edited by Wilmslow; 7 February 2008, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
            good point - I should have noticed sooner - I have edited my quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Hmm.... One guess where a shed load of agents and contractors looking for XXXX work in XXXXXX are going to be looking, possible at the expense of the guy who posted this.....

Makes me feel not so daft after all
              could you edit to remove then?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                could you edit to remove then?
                Good point sir.

All sorted all round

Comment

though I still think saying industry sector and town narrows it down too much? am I being too anal?

maybe town should be removed? I am not sure that the industry is needed for the post either?

poor happyskye

Comment

Originally posted by happySkye View Post
                    Just been offered a contract with <client> (Telecoms) in Ipswich...
                    Gosh - I wonder who it could be.

Could they have two initials, perchance?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X