• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

caught speeding 63mph in 40 :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

caught speeding 63mph in 40 :(

just received a Notice of Intended prosecution for doing 63mph in a 40. It was on the princess parkway, manchester dual carraige way just before the 40 turns to 50 to 70 (M56) in the space of half a mile.

There was no fixed penalty offer in with the letter, anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm assuming i'll get a court date through the post sometime soon after replying.

looking at onfo online im likely to get 5points and around £200 fine i guess.

cue AtW with his holier than though approach.

I know I was on the road at the time, unsure what speed i was doing but 63 seems a bit fast even for me on that road.

how do i go about asking for the photo evidence?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Is there no contact phone number or address on the letter?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think they first ask who the driver is, then they decide if they are going to offer fixed penalty or not: this might have changed recently as I think they got less points for small excesses and more points for higher, either way: "don't do the crime if you can't do the time". You won't get 5 points for that, probably 3-4 plus fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I think they first ask who the driver is, then they decide if they are going to offer fixed penalty or not: this might have changed recently as I think they got less points for small excesses and more points for higher, either way: "don't do the crime if you can't do the time". You won't get 5 points for that, probably 3-4 plus fine.
        no where near as harsh or critical as i expected.

am happy to plead guilty and the fine isnt a problem, i was just wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation.

p.s i'm now contracting in brum.. what a dump although i do like the aston expressway (a38) that goes smack bang straight through the centre, nice touch to avoid slowing down and noticing the dingy place, doesnt work at rush hr though
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I like Brum - well, definately like my village a few miles off city center, very leafy, quiet place, nice people, friendly squirrels as well

Generally speaking I don't like the self-incrimination element of speeding convictions, you might be better off rolling over - I learnt my lesson from 3 points I got almost 5 years ago, had a few "might have been caught again" moment, but since some years I drive very carefully - in 30 mph build up areas way too many people speed, maybe doing 10% more on motorway is okay but doing 40 mph in 30 is definately ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            i'm now contracting in brum.. what a dump
            Those buildings around the flyover on the A38 make me chuckle (just as you get off the expressway). They are filthy. I can't think of another place I've been to that has buildings as filthy as that.

As for speeding, you were just unlucky. Happens to us all. Wait till you get your RS4 though...
            Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              just received a Notice of Intended prosecution for doing 63mph in a 40. It was on the princess parkway, manchester dual carraige way just before the 40 turns to 50 to 70 (M56) in the space of half a mile.

There was no fixed penalty offer in with the letter, anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm assuming i'll get a court date through the post sometime soon after replying.

looking at onfo online im likely to get 5points and around £200 fine i guess.

cue AtW with his holier than though approach.

I know I was on the road at the time, unsure what speed i was doing but 63 seems a bit fast even for me on that road.

how do i go about asking for the photo evidence?

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

The police MUST send you a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days. If they do not, the case is a nonstarter.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                ...they got less points...
                fewer
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've just bought a radar detector and with it come a host of tips. Here is one:

DON'T BE BULLIED IN TO SIGNING THE DECLARATION

Not enough people who are 'caught' for speeding fight it in court, they simply accept it, get the points and pay the fine. If more than 10% fought the ticket, the judicial system dealing with this would be overwhelmed and brought down on its knees.

If in doubt, fight it! The worst thing that can happen is that you will be convicted of the original offence. You CAN get a heftier fine and more points in court, but unless you were doing silly speeds, it's very unlikely.

The first point to make is if you receive a ticket in the post, *DO NOT SIGN THE DECLARATION* because this is viewed as an admission of guilt. Rather, send the forms back with a signed covering letter. You should explain that none of the options presented on the form apply to you and you are therefore unable to sign it.

An excuse which has worked for many is to say that you have no idea who was driving the car - you are just sure it wasn't you because <insert reason>. It could have been any one of several friends or family members. Request the police send a photograph of the driver so that you can identify them to assist them with their enquiry.

They will most likely send a picture of the car from behind, unless you were caught on a Truvelo camera (a great way to protect against Truvelo's is by using ProtectorPlate spray, which doesn't allow static cameras to photograph your number plate! See this link http://www.beatthespeedtrap.co.uk/protectorplate.html).

The Police will demand that you sign the form, but do not back down - politely explain why you can not sign the form (because none of the options available to sign apply to you). They will continue to demand that you sign, but legally, you have no obligation to do so - so don't!

Try to avoid being too sarcastic or pompous in your communications in case it does go to court (please be aware that it is likely to actually go to court but you are extremely likely to win the case). You will want the court to recognise that you are sincere and reasonable. They will throw the case out if the Police can not PROVE you were driving.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    I've just bought a radar detector and with it come a host of tips. Here is one:

DON'T BE BULLIED IN TO SIGNING THE DECLARATION

Not enough people who are 'caught' for speeding fight it in court, they simply accept it, get the points and pay the fine. If more than 10% fought the ticket, the judicial system dealing with this would be overwhelmed and brought down on its knees.

If in doubt, fight it! The worst thing that can happen is that you will be convicted of the original offence. You CAN get a heftier fine and more points in court, but unless you were doing silly speeds, it's very unlikely.

The first point to make is if you receive a ticket in the post, *DO NOT SIGN THE DECLARATION* because this is viewed as an admission of guilt. Rather, send the forms back with a signed covering letter. You should explain that none of the options presented on the form apply to you and you are therefore unable to sign it.

An excuse which has worked for many is to say that you have no idea who was driving the car - you are just sure it wasn't you because <insert reason>. It could have been any one of several friends or family members. Request the police send a photograph of the driver so that you can identify them to assist them with their enquiry.

They will most likely send a picture of the car from behind, unless you were caught on a Truvelo camera (a great way to protect against Truvelo's is by using ProtectorPlate spray, which doesn't allow static cameras to photograph your number plate! See this link http://www.beatthespeedtrap.co.uk/protectorplate.html).

The Police will demand that you sign the form, but do not back down - politely explain why you can not sign the form (because none of the options available to sign apply to you). They will continue to demand that you sign, but legally, you have no obligation to do so - so don't!

Try to avoid being too sarcastic or pompous in your communications in case it does go to court (please be aware that it is likely to actually go to court but you are extremely likely to win the case). You will want the court to recognise that you are sincere and reasonable. They will throw the case out if the Police can not PROVE you were driving.
                    good post

small question - since September 2007 it has been an offence not to say who was driving? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7008914.stm

how does that fit in with the above?

Comment

Working...
                    X