• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent lied to client about my skills and now I have an interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent lied to client about my skills and now I have an interview

Hi,

I've been put forward for a contract and now I have a telephone interview. For some reason, the agency have forwarded me an email containing details of their markup etc. and a doctored copy of my CV which went to the client.

I don't know whether this was a mistake or in the interests of full-disclosure but, having looked at the CV, I've noticed that they've shoe horned in all the stuff from the job spec, including one skill which I specifically told them I was a bit patchy on.

This could easily lead to awkwardness and embarrassment in the phone interview so I'm looking for advice.

Apart from my weakness with that one skill (from a pretty lengthy job spec), I'm a good match for the job. Has anyone else ever found themself in this position and what did/would you do?

Thanks

In the interview, tell the client that the agent has lied to them. You'll get lots of kudos, and maybe even the contract, while the agent will lose a client, which is always worth a laugh.

If you go along with the lies you'll be found out, and the agent will claim ignorance, and that you lied to them.

That's because MOST agents (and politicians) are inherent liars.

Screw them before they screw you.

Comment

Another wind-up??

Is this the best advice ? Honesty is the best policy etc? Depends on how confident one is about their skills. Putting a skill on your CV doesn't necessarily mean you are an expert. Usually, lots of skills required in a job spec to deter potential speculative CVs. Slating an agent that has put you forward at an interview may also be counter-productive as you can't prove/substantiate any CV 'tampering' by them. Unless you've got version control on your CV. Let's not get paranoid or carried away though.

Comment

The question on all our minds - what's the markup?????

Comment

What skills?

We offer a telephone interview forwarding service for a 10% cut of your rate if you land the contract.

Send us a deposit so we know you're genuine and we'll let you know what number to tell the client to call.

Also let us know the skills, so we can arrange for the right people to join in the conference call, and what rate, so we can decide if we can be arsed answering it.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

had a similar situation where the agent "forgot" to mention something about a prospective job. I actually almost got it, but had the agent just told me the full job scope before hand then I could have kept my 100% contracting interview record
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Tell the client what the agent has done and detail what your real skill set is. IMHO this is fraud and the agent should not be allowed to get away with it. They have lied to the client, misrepresented you and if you pretend that the CV is yours you will look like an arse when you can't do everything that they expect!!!

Name and Shame

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                had a similar situation where the agent "forgot" to mention something about a prospective job. I actually almost got it, but had the agent just told me the full job scope before hand then I could have kept my 100% contracting interview record
                If you always get the job, you're not stretching your skills or your rate enough.

Comment

I always begin an interview with "Right, lets see what lies the agent's told you".
                  Useful ice-breaker.

Don't you all go using it yourselves now, find your own jokes.....

RS

Comment

Do the interview.

If the client mentions the skill you are sketchy about convince them you are a quick learner and will be up to speed it in no time. Then when you get the gig learn the skill.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X