• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contractor needing help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contractor needing help

Hi All

Im just about to start contracting and I am confused about the best way to go about it.

The situation is as follows. I am going to start working on a project at nights and weekends for a company. If this is successful I will be handing my notice in at my main job and then starting work for this company on a 6 month contract while I sort there IT department out. After this I will begin working as a contractor full time.

So my first problem/issue is if there is any complications with contracting and being in "full time" employment. I don't really want my current company finding out what i'm up to if it can be helped (for obvious reasons).

My second concern is IR35 which sounds like a nightmare. Am I right in thinking if I use a umbrella company I can pretty much avoid any IR35 issues (alot of them seem to claim this).

Finally, can anyone recommend a good trusted umbrella company I can go with.

Thanks everyone!

Hi oafc0000,

If you take a secondary job whilst you are working full time the earnings from your second job will be taxed at basic rate (22% of everything you earn) as your tax free allowance (as dictated by your tax code) can only be applied to one employment.

IR35 dictates the way that you are paid - you can only receive dividends if you are outside IR35 and have your own limited company - inside IR35 you must receive payment via PAYE. If you are paid through a third party it must also be via PAYE which means that your IR35 status is irrelevent.

HTH
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Clearly didn't like the original answers, so trying again is it?.

Ermm, well done

Actually this is a litttle weird - there's a post further down from the same person that's been answered, and yet his post count here is set to 1. Mods having a little confusion in the engine room perhaps?
      Last edited by malvolio; 12 February 2008, 08:48.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Clearly didn't like the original answers, so trying again is it?.

Ermm, well done

Actually this is a litttle weird - there's a post further down from the same person that's been answered, and yet his post count here is set to 1. Mods having a little confusion in the engine room perhaps?

When I posted my first post it didnt appear straight away and I thought there had been a error. Didnt realise until my second attempt that mods had to approve each post. Sorry for any confusion!

Comment

Working...
        X