• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots trying to get Berwick on Tweed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scots trying to get Berwick on Tweed

Should we give up a piece of England without a fight?
    A Nationalist MSP has lodged a motion in parliament calling for Berwick-upon-Tweed to "return to the fold".
    An unofficial vote is taking place in the English borders town asking locals whether they want to switch from England to being part of Scotland.

The town, which is near the Scottish border, has changed hands between the two countries at least 13 times.
    South of Scotland MSP Christine Grahame has lodged a motion at Holyrood urging people in Berwick-upon-Tweed to "return to the fold".

It even urges Scottish ministers to begin negotiations with Westminster to secure Berwick-upon-Tweed's "restoration" as part of Scotland.
    A television debate and vote is being held for the ITV Tonight show to gauge local views on becoming part of Scotland again.

Ms Grahame said the progress of the SNP Government north of the border was making the prospect "very appealing" to residents in the town.

"I think there is clearly support for returning the historic port town and placing it under Scottish jurisdiction," she said.

"The last vote held on this issue was lost by only a very small margin and it is clear from the feedback so far that Berwickers are seeing the benefits fellow Scots are getting by securing more control over our own affairs.

"Even the Berwick-upon-Tweed Borough Council leader, who is a Liberal Democrat, backs the idea and others see the merits of reunification with Scotland.

"That is very welcome indeed."

The MSP claims that "Berwickers" have seen their status and taxes "drain" southwards towards London with little benefit flowing back.

"We would welcome Berwick-upon-Tweed's return with open arms," she said.

Ms Grahame's motion already has the backing of fellow Nationalist MSPs.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

That would mess up one of my favourite pub quiz questions.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      That would mess up one of my favourite pub quiz questions.
      Just wait till the French ask for Yorktown to be returned "back into the fold", and vikings might say a word or two as well

Comment

Completely forgotten about my signature! It succeeded in getting that page to Google's 3rd or 4th choice for "French military victories", but then they must have changed their search algorithm because it's dropped right off now.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Actually Berwick is not a piece of England. It has never been formally incorporated in the Kingdom of England; merely sacked and ruled by England.
          It seems to me that Berwick always fared better during its periods of Scottish rule than during its enforced periods of English rule. Perhaps nowadays we are civilised enough to allow the people of Berwick to decide. Then again, perhaps not.
          In any case, the argument is presumptuous from both our houses, since the Kingdom of Northumbria predates both the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland.

Comment

I have a better idea, how about an independent Scotland with a new border to the north of the existing one. Under this plan, England would be given the various tulipe-holes we don't want e.g. Edinburgh, Dundee, the borders, Ayrshire while Scotland would keep Glasgow and any oil-related stuff. The new capital could be Perth or Stirling.
            If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
              I have a better idea, how about an independent Scotland with a new border to the north of the existing one. Under this plan, England would be given the various tulipe-holes we don't want e.g. Edinburgh, Dundee, the borders, Ayrshire while Scotland would keep Glasgow and any oil-related stuff. The new capital could be Perth or Stirling.
              Hmm...Glasgow...not a nice place IMO...Edinburgh is far nicer...
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Why not? You gave Leicester to Pakistan without one!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Why not? You gave Leicester to Pakistan without one!
                  And Bradford, and Leeds, lots of London....etc etc etc
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
                    Why would we want to keep Glasgow by choice

Comment

Working...
                    X