• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freeview problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeview problems

We have various TV's, some have add-on "digiboxes", these work OK apart from the odd "no signal" carp because we live in a tulipe reception area.
    The problem is with our only expensive TV which has a built-in freeview thingy. When running the installation/set-up it just refuses to add the channels from UHF 32 (despite pausing at this channel when scanning) so that we have freeview channels 1,2.3.4.6,7, i.e. 5 and some others are missing. Any ideas?
    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Get Sky.

HTH
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
      so that we have freeview channels 1,2.3.4.6,7, i.e. 5 and some others are missing. Any ideas?
      Get Sky, Cable, Tiscali Homechoice or BT vision and stop being so cheap!
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Get Sky, Cable, Tiscali Homechoice or BT vision and stop being so cheap!
        Thanks for prompt reply but

Cable not available, don't want a satellite dish. I don't know what these other other products are so I'll need to look into them.

For now I just want to know why one freeview tuner has different behaviour from another.
        If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Comment

I had a similar problem.

It is to do with the 'multiplex' that transmit the signals.

all the ITV's were top signal.

all the BBC's were tuliped.

something to do with interactive TV broadcasts on 64khz which needs loads of power and the supply at different times of the day.

The others are broadcast at 16khz need less power and travel further.

I reckon they are penny pinching on power and testing so the interactive gumpf works for Glastonbury - press red button for JAY-Z or green button for Amy WineOuse

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Get a bigger aerial.

Or have the existing one realigned.

I suspect there are different degrees of competence in the electronic design of these things.

Which are generally made in China for £5...
            I missed out in the original post that when we got the set with built-in digital tuner it was able to get all available channels OK, the loss of 5 and others has only happened since trying to re-tune after replacing a faulty piece of aerial cable.

Comment

I wish I could tune mine so that channel 5 didn't appear...

That said, I found Nuts TV on freeview the other night
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Try at different times of the day.

Results of auto tune differ on all the kit we have lying around.

One on my TV's doesn't drop what it already has when rescanning which is handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
                  I missed out in the original post that when we got the set with built-in digital tuner it was able to get all available channels OK, the loss of 5 and others has only happened since trying to re-tune after replacing a faulty piece of aerial cable.
                  You sure you didn't just answer your own question?
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                  X