• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mosquito Anti Gang device "not fair"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosquito Anti Gang device "not fair"

Call to scrap 'anti-teen' device

A high-pitched device used to disperse teenagers is being challenged by campaigners, who say it is not a fair way to treat young people. There are estimated to be 3,500 of the devices, known as the mosquito, in use across the country.

Their sound causes discomfort to young ears - but their frequency is above the normal hearing range of people over 25. The Children's Commissioner for England says they should be scrapped as they infringe the rights of young people.

Negative views
    The devices have proved popular with councils and police who use them to disperse groups of youths engaged in anti-social behaviour.

But a new campaign called "Buzz off", led by the Children's Commissioner for England and back by groups including civil liberties group Liberty, is calling for them to be scrapped.
    The organisations want to highlight what they call the "increasingly negative" way society views and deals with children and young people.

Sir Al Aynsley-Green, Children's Commissioner for England, said he had spoken to many young people who had been "deeply affected" by the deterrents.
    He said: "These devices are indiscriminate and target all children and young people, including babies, regardless of whether they are behaving or misbehaving.

What type of society uses a low-level sonic weapon on its children?
    Shami Chakrabarti Liberty
    "The use of measures such as these are simply demonising children and young people, creating a dangerous and widening divide between the young and the old."

Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti said the device had no place in a country which values its children.
    "What type of society uses a low-level sonic weapon on its children? Imagine the outcry if a device was introduced that caused blanket discomfort to people of one race or gender, rather than to our kids," she said.

The mosquito's inventor, Howard Stapleton, previously told the BBC the device was proven to be effective.
    He said: "As a father I realise the majority of young people are fun-loving and law abiding.
    "I find it sad that a system is needed to combat lawlessness, but its proven effectiveness shows how much it is needed to improve our communities."
    Scientists are now reported to be developing a version of the mosquito that is only audible by Muslims.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7240180.stm
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 12 February 2008, 08:14.

Does being kicked to death infringe the rights of older people?

Comment

Yet more leftie bulltulip from idiots with not the first clue about urban life. Drop them in an inner city housing estate plagued by youth crime and ask them to reiterate their claims after 4 weeks.

Comment

I would have thought that it would be simple to focus the sound so that the individuals causing trouble could be targetted effectively
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I'm suprised this is at all legal. Doesn't it count as assault?

Are we ready to write off all under 25s as trouble makers? Perhaps we should keep all young people in jail until they're 25 if we're that concerned. This is just blatant discrimination IMO, and if it were to be targeted at Muslims, or blacks, the idea wouldn't have been entertained for a moment, even if it was proven to reduce crime.

What if you're a 24 year old, with a degree, a good job and a young family, and suddenly you can't go to the shops and get told "we don't want you troublemakers around here".?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Are we ready to write off all under 25s as trouble makers? Perhaps we should keep all young people in jail until they're 25 if we're that concerned. This is just blatant discrimination IMO, and if it were to be targeted at Muslims, or blacks, the idea wouldn't have been entertained for a moment, even if it was proven to reduce crime.

What if you're a 24 year old, with a degree, a good job and a young family, and suddenly you can't go to the shops and get told "we don't want you troublemakers around here".?
            Simple answer - if you're 24, with a degree, a good job am a young family why would you be hanging around off-licences, youth clubs etc, the places where these things are installed?
            If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. These devices are there to deter youths from 'hanging around', because doing so invariably leads to trouble. People who are just going about their business (ie buying drinks from the off licence rather than just loitering outside) aren't going to be inconvenienced or harmed in any way.

You can push words like 'assault' and 'human rights' to your heart's content, but sometimes common sense needs to take precedence.

Comment

Does it work on anti-social van parking?

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
                  Simple answer - if you're 24, with a degree, a good job am a young family why would you be hanging around off-licences, youth clubs etc, the places where these things are installed?
                  They're installed in youth clubs? Doesn't that defeat the object of youth clubs?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. These devices are there to deter youths from 'hanging around', because doing so invariably leads to trouble. People who are just going about their business (ie buying drinks from the off licence rather than just loitering outside) aren't going to be inconvenienced or harmed in any way.
                    Assuming it works you still have to suffer a bit of sonic assault to get into the off licence? I think I'd choose to go elsewhere.

Where would you prefer teenagers to loiter? If it's not at the shops, it'll be in the street near houses, or in a park, or an industrial estate, or a building site... I think the root cause of this anti-social behaviour is boredem. They're too young for pubs, but nobody wants them anywhere else either. That's what leads to trouble, and every time some old fuddy duddys say "we don't want kids hanging around" and they get pushed somewhere else the problem gets worse.

Of course I don't want kids hanging round where I live either.

Comment

Working...
                    X