• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GM loses big time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM loses big time

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/02/12/gm-loss.html

I can't imagine losing $1M let alone $38G. phew!
    Just how much longer can still make cars?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I can't imagine losing $1M let alone $38G.
    38 gazillion dollars?! Holy tulip!
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I like the way this loss is down to

"third-quarter charge related to unused tax credits"

and the last one was

"of a change in health-care accounting, according to Standard & Poor's Compustat."

So not cr@p cars then
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It is rather extrodrinary isn't it.

So on 10 million cars that's a 3 grand loss on each one which for the cheaper end of the market is about 50% of cost price.

tim

Comment

Looks like the yanks have been well and truly tanked by Germany and Asia. Both Ford and Vauxhall seem to be on their last legs.

I wonder which brand will take BMW's slot as they inevitably move into Ford's vacant chavtastic spot. It's unavoidable as BMW seem to be announcing a new model every month which will dilute the brand. e.g. the 1 series coupe, WTF!? It's just an ugly 3 series, and almost costs as much. They've seriously lost it since they brought out the dame edna 5 series.

Will this have any bearing on british workers who still work in Ford and GM factories in the UK? Yet more depressive news for those that can be arsed working to keep their families off the council estates?
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            38 gazillion dollars?! Holy tulip!
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Looks like the yanks have been well and truly tanked by Germany and Asia. Both Ford and Vauxhall seem to be on their last legs.

I wonder which brand will take BMW's slot as they inevitably move into Ford's vacant chavtastic spot. It's unavoidable as BMW seem to be announcing a new model every month which will dilute the brand. e.g. the 1 series coupe, WTF!? It's just an ugly 3 series, and almost costs as much. They've seriously lost it since they brought out the dame edna 5 series.

Will this have any bearing on british workers who still work in Ford and GM factories in the UK? Yet more depressive news for those that can be arsed working to keep their families off the council estates?
              BMW have made more 3 series for europe than ford have mondeos for the last 10 years. Yet people perceive the mondeo to be a common car and the 3 series less so, when the reverse is true. The 3 series BMW is just a Ford Cortina with a good badge, they're not for true petrolheads.
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 12 February 2008, 14:22.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                BMW's are dime a dozen now. I reckon the cachet will be gone in a couple of year. I'd rather buy a Lexus. they are so rare around here they're bound to get noticed.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

BMW's are dime a dozen now. I reckon the cachet will be gone in a couple of year. I'd rather buy a Lexus. they are so rare around here they're bound to get noticed.
                  So you need a car to get 'noticed' then? You a minger?

Comment

I can't imagine losing $1M let alone $38G. phew!
                    $38 Googol? That's more money than exists in the world. Getting on for the daily rate of some of the "niche" poster on here.

Comment

Working...
                    X