• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Transport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Transport

Morning all,

The trains and stations are eerily empty today. I even managed to get a seat on my usual train into central London.

Did everyone manage to get home okay yesterday?
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Public transport !

I didn't know such poverty existed

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave

Did everyone manage to get home okay yesterday?
      A friend of mine managed to walk several miles out of London, get several buses and then a local train back to Essex eventually. The alternatives were his wife driving all the way into London or staying at a London hotel, which he noted were absolutely full!!

Hope everyone made it back as well!
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
        Hope everyone made it back as well!
        Much as my sympathys go out to all those involved in yesterdays outrage, I do hope that no one I know was involved and that you all avoided it.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Actually I was very impressed by London transport yesterday and this morning
          As soon as they could reopen the train stations they did, and started running an efficient service. Last night they had to cope with huge numbers of people, which they did well - this morning was a bit easier as many people did not use trains to come to work (didn't come to work at all by the look of it) and they seem to have used this to try and run the full normal service.

So for once (never thought I'd say that), well done TfL.
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I've just heard from one of my ex-workmates who was pretty close to the Edgeware Road bomb. She was standing on the platform waiting to go East. The Westbound train had just left and was 100 metres inside the tunnel when it went boom. Nobody knew what had gone wrong at the time so the station was evacuated and she walked down to Marble Arch for the central line.

Thank god - London can scarcely afford to lose a fine bit of totty like that

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              Much as my sympathys go out to all those involved in yesterdays outrage, I do hope that no one I know was involved and that you all avoided it.
              I was at Waterloo when it all happened, having just stepped off a train from Wimbledon, so I simply turned around, got back on the train and went straight back home again.

Mate of mine passed through Liverpool St about 10 mins before the bomb went off but went home the same way on the train to Chelmsford with no problem at all about 4 o'clock. It seems beyond the initial rushing around, the effects were highly localised. It puzzled me that some police dude on the telly last night was telling people not to go to work today "unless absolutely necessary" - why? That definitely sends the wrong message. Giuliani had exactly the right response when asked immediately after 11/9 what people should do - go to work, take the kids to the park, have dinner, watch a show was his spot on and correct message.

Comment

Must say,I dont have much time for Red Ken, but I saw him speak on CNN last night.
                I was so proud of him and what he said.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I have to agree with Rebecca. I thought TfL handled the incident incredibly well, and for once managed a bad situation with intelligence, professionalism and sensitivity. Well done!
                  Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    Must say,I dont have much time for Red Ken, but I saw him speak on CNN last night.
                    I was so proud of him and what he said.
                    Yes, I've no time for the Red Newt man and his policies but his speech in that moment, from the heart, surpassed Tone's.

Strange really, how people act in the face of such trauma.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X