• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Widgets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Widgets

So I've just got a shiny new laptop and I'm getting myself accustomed to Windows Vista.

It also came installed with Google desktop / Google Widgets or whatever it's called and apart from the Weather one and the battery indicator, I can't find anything particuarly useful or interesting.

What are your favorite widgets or should I just ditch the whole thing?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    What are your favorite widgets or should I just ditch the whole thing?
    You might be able to reduce Vista's boot time to 7 minutes if you uninstall Google Widgets.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
      You might be able to reduce Vista's boot time to 7 minutes if you uninstall Google Widgets.
      wot he said
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Google docs
        Google calendar
        Gmail
        Super Mario
        Pacman
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

if you're curious about the weather then look out of the window
          windows usually has a battery indicator in the system tray
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            if you're curious about the weather then look out of the window
            windows usually has a battery indicator in the system tray
            Exactly... hence the post for anything 'useful'. The news ones seem to be mostly unfilterable so you get all kinds of irrelevant crap in there...

Comment

You can widget any RSS feed, I think - I've not really looked at it on there, but I have on iGoogle on the web to put some decent feeds on there.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Vista comes with MS widgets, virtually identical to google widgets, but not related as far as I'm aware....

You can get some useful ones like CPU usage, clocks for various time zones, remote desktop, Putty, SSH widgets etc.

Comment

Well I uninstalled Google widgets and loaded up and configured Windows Vista sidebar instead. The two most useful sidebar apps I have are the National Rail Enquiries timetable one and the London Underground line status one. The weather one for the vista sidebar is much nicer too

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                    Well I uninstalled Google widgets and loaded up and configured Windows Vista sidebar instead. The two most useful sidebar apps I have are the National Rail Enquiries timetable one and the London Underground line status one. The weather one for the vista sidebar is much nicer too
                    What's the loading time for Vista now? And your processor...?
                    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X