• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working day?

I guess this has been done before but just wanted to gain the consensus.

Basically I have had the classic line from my manager that as 'professionals', we are expected to work above and beyond the standard 40 hours a week. While I work 45-50 I feel this is adequate to do the role but feel that because I am not putting on the 60-70 hours that others are I am being frowned upon.

While I in many ways I don’t care as I am a contractor and work according to the deliverables I have been set how do you manage these others who are basically implying that I am less professional than them by working less hours?

I am on a daily rate btw.

I do an 8 hour day and don't really care what anyone else says.

Rhubarb.

Comment

Yes it's been done before.

My daily hours vary considerably - Mondays and Fridays are short days because I travel. The rest are long days because I'm busy.

If they have an issue with it, then they need to renegotiate to an hourly contract (which I'd prefer, to be honest). No-one has said anything to me ever about working this way.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

On a daily rate contract where it is based on deliverables and also has no reference to hours, I tend to ignore people with this attitude. They have every right to complain if a deliverable is late, assuming it is not late due to a dependency of course...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Tell them to ram it.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

"Basically I have had the classic line from my manager that as 'professionals', we are expected to work above and beyond the standard 40 hours a week."

Retort : As a so-called Professional you naturally have a binding Profesional contract which states the T and Cs of the aforementioned Profession and working time thereof - time in excess of 40 hours should therefore be compensated accordingly.

Tell 'im Alf told ya so.

PS IT is not a 'Profession ' so you need not be concerned about appearing less Professional - but that's another story - Im off for my afternoon Polo match - Pip Pip !
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 13 February 2008, 12:16.

Comment

To any such manager that tries that with me I have the classic line that as a Professional, I expect to be paid for the all time I spend on the project. After all, try telling your accountant that as a professional you are expecting him to do extra work for no pay.

On a day rate contract you should ensure that the expected daily and weekly hours (normally 35 - 40) are specified. This gives you the target hours to work to each week. Expecting 60 - 70 hrs for the price of 40 is not on. I would never do it. My advice is to call your managers bluff. If you are doing the job effectively he will accept. If not, or he is an unreasonable pillock, find another contract.

Comment

I've been lucky in that all my contracts so far have been hourly rated. So at least if they want more hours out of me I get rewarded for it.

Even better when approaching a project live date and the numpties in charge realise they've mismanaged it. Don't feel bad at all putting in 90 hour weeks to get them out of the crap, makes for fine reading on the invoice. Wouldn't be anywhere near so keen on a daily rate though.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
                  Basically I have had the classic line from my manager that as 'professionals', we are expected to work above and beyond the standard 40 hours a week. While I work 45-50 I feel this is adequate to do the role but feel that because I am not putting on the 60-70 hours that others are I am being frowned upon.
                  (1) He's an uneducated tw@t: read this,
                  http://www.igda.org/articles/erobinson_crunch.php
                  then these http://etbe.coker.com.au/2007/11/02/...ugh-less-work/
                  http://positivesharing.com/2006/08/m...t-needs-to-go/

(2) I recall a classic retort along the lines that he should be more worried about the people who need 60-70 hours per week to keep up with what you achieve in 40. Can't find any links.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    I've been lucky in that all my contracts so far have been hourly rated. So at least if they want more hours out of me I get rewarded for it.

Even better when approaching a project live date and the numpties in charge realise they've mismanaged it. Don't feel bad at all putting in 90 hour weeks to get them out of the crap, makes for fine reading on the invoice. Wouldn't be anywhere near so keen on a daily rate though.
                    In fact PAH has really got to the crux of the issue - do not concern yourself about the perception of being 'Profesional' ( even though IT is not in fact a profession) rather concern yourself about the scope for increasing your hours worked in your Invoice and threby your renumeration - now that is a very Professional attitude - make no mistake.

Next Please !

Comment

Working...
                    X