• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Numpty of the Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numpty of the Day

My vote goes to this guy who's lost £1.2m gambling over 3 years, including £347,000 on the 2006 Ryder Cup.

Though if he does manage to sue the bookies and get some of it back, I suppose for once the punter isn't the mug.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7243656.stm

At just 28 years old, Graham Calvert has achieved a great deal. He built his reputation as a greyhound trainer and became one of the best in Britain.

It was a job which earned him up to £30,000 a month and he built up savings of nearly £700,000.

He was even chosen to train dogs for international competitions and his reputation should have ensured a prosperous future.

But it has all been ruined by his gambling habit which has cost him his career, family life and business.

Run an internet search for the words "Ryder Cup punter" and one of the first items which appears is a story about a gambler who in 2006 placed £347,000 on America to win the Ryder Cup.

At the time it was the biggest golf bet in history and, if successful, would have returned £753,000.

But the downside for the punter was that America lost and the big problem for Graham Calvert, from Wearside, is that he was the punter. That, though, was just a fraction of his losses.

Moments of clarity

He began gambling at the end of 2005 and it wasn't just the odd fiver on the horses.

He says he didn't get a buzz out of bets of tens or hundreds of pounds. He wanted to gamble thousands.

At one stage he placed up to 20 bets a day at £30,000 a punt. But, by his own admission, in what he describes as "rare moments of clarity", he realised it was all getting out of hand and so excluded himself from a number of bookmakers.

Some of them wouldn't let him bet again while others only allowed him maximum bets of a few hundred pounds. But Mr Calvert was a big time gambler so he went in search of other bookmakers to take on his bets.

So, in May 2006, he opened an account with William Hill - one of the best known bookies in the UK.

He says up until that point he had been reluctant to gamble with them because they owned the track where he raced his dogs.

After placing some big bets he closed that account after just a few days, although he chose to re-open it two weeks later.

About a week later, after more bets totalling nearly £300,000 pounds, he closed it again and this is when he was offered what's known as "self exclusion".

This, his lawyers say, is a facility provided by bookmakers to help gambling addicts break free of their addiction.

'Account closed'

The BBC has obtained a transcript of the conversation between Mr Calvert and a team leader at William Hill.

J: "Hi Mr Calvert , you're through to John, team leader here. I understand you want to close the account?"

GC: "Yes please, yeah."

J : "Can you tell me why that is please?"

GC: "'Cos it's just far too easy to gamble."

J: "Right, so do you want to be self-excluded at this point then? Which means you will not be able to open the account with us again within the next six months?"

GC: "That's right, aye."

Graham Calvert is claiming William Hill was negligent

J: "Right, well, what I'll do is I'll pass on all the relevant information."

GC: "Right."

J: "The account will now be closed, you will not be able to open it within the next six months."

After a discussion about returning the remaining funds in the account to Mr Calvert, he's told by J: "But the money will be returned to your account and the account will now be closed for the next six months.

"You will not be allowed to open it under any circumstances. You will not be allowed to bet over the phone with William Hill."

But two months later, Mr Calvert did start betting with William Hill again by opening a new account in his own name.

Sacks of cash

It was through this account that he placed the huge bet on the Ryder Cup.

His downward spiral continued and ended up going into William Hill branches with sacks full of cash, using up all his savings and borrowing more than £1m from business associates.

By the time he stopped gambling with William Hill he had made a net loss of just under £2.1m, the amount he is now claiming against them in a High Court case due to start next week.

Regardless of Mr Calvert's big time gambling past his legal team claim that William Hill were negligent in allowing him to continue to gamble after agreeing that he would be self-excluded and that they should be held responsible for the consequences.

But of course there are two sides to the story. William Hill are strongly contesting the claims.

They argue that any individual choosing to place a bet does so as a matter of their own voluntary choice.

The case is likely to take a long look at the issue of duty of care. Where does the responsibility of both the gambler and the bookmaker start and finish?

It will be for the court to establish exactly how and why Mr Calvert resumed betting and whether William Hill can be held legally liable for his behaviour.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Plan B Alert!

A gambling charity is calling for a UK-wide database which would give better protection to problem gamblers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7244115.stm
    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I wonder if he would be sueing them if he had actually managed to win ...

I can just see him walking into his lercal buckies (wearside accent) and handing back Netto bags full of cash.
      If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        A gambling charity is calling for a UK-wide database which would give better protection to problem gamblers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7244115.stm
        We should get a group from here and bid for that.

I reckon 5 of us could do it for about £5 million over the next year.

Anyone in?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Anyone in?

Yeah I can spare a couple of mins. Shouldn't take much longer than that.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Anyone in?
            I'm in.

davley2
            Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
              I'm in.

davley2
              Ah - it's doomed, then. I'm out.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What does one have to do to be numpty of the day?

I might be interested
                Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                  What does one have to do to be numpty of the day?

I might be interested
                  Just be yourself.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Just be yourself.

HTH
                    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X