• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK back into space...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK back into space...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...1&nbwm=1&asb=1

Dunno if that works or not...

But the concept of the UK rejoining the space race has me ROTFLMFAO...

One successful satellite launch in 1971...

Though it must be admitted that, in the Best British Tradition, it was powered by steam...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      Though it must be admitted that, in the Best British Tradition, it was powered by steam...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow
      Capacity Payload to LEO 73 kg????

Wtf was that? Threaded's lunch?

Comment

But the concept of the UK rejoining the space race has me ROTFLMFAO...

One successful satellite launch in 1971...

Yea, the last time the UK tried launching a rocket, the milk bottle fell over

IGMC ..

Comment

What do you expect?

Even Branson's been hoodwinked with a giant water rocket, based on one they built out of an old washing up bottle and a subscription to Playschool.

I remember getting one (water rocket) for christmas in the 70s. We used to send it flying over the house, until one day it disappeared. Either it was stuck on the roof, or some thieving scrote had it away before we could run round the back.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

It must be admitted that Black Arrow was astonishingly expensive.

Just imagine launching a satellite (73kg) for the princely sum of £9M...

Allowing for inflation, that's about £110M today...

Comment

Didn't Top Gear nearly launch a REliant Robin into space?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Didn't Top Gear nearly launch a REliant Robin into space?
                Bloody impressive it was too!

Comment

It must be admitted that Black Arrow was astonishingly expensive.

Just imagine launching a satellite (73kg) for the princely sum of £9M...

Allowing for inflation, that's about £110M today...

It would have been cheaper to build a bloody great ladder and walk it into space. In quiet times they could hire it out to mountaineers as practice for Everest.

Better still, use Everest as the staging point for the ladder so the mountaineers can slide down it on the way home.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

When you consider the billions spent on other launch systems, I think that £9M was cheap at twice the price.

You can pull the piss out of the achievements of the engineers who worked on that project, but I doubt that any of us could equal them.

Naturally enough, the bean counters killed it just as it was becoming useful.

It was ever thus.

Prospero is still in orbit.

Comment

Working...
                    X