• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector gig kills finance sector option

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector gig kills finance sector option

Well have an offer for BA role with bit of PMing in finance sector(client offered gig at interview ).

But since then have had 1 interview arranged and alsmost certainly will be called for another tomorrow for a PM gigs in public sector.

now sure will get the offered the public sector gig.

Renowned board, opinions wanted will going for public gig kill my bluechip finance sector aspiration. Or does it matter, mind you Public sector rates are £50-100 more here.
    Last edited by newbee; 14 February 2008, 12:54. Reason: rejigging title

Don't take the finance job - you'll just spend all your money on LP Pink & DP trying to keep up with the traders, perhaps with an occasional trip to a brothel.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Don't take the finance job - you'll just spend all your money on LP Pink & DP trying to keep up with the traders, perhaps with an occasional trip to a brothel.
      But atleast you would have all that money to spend

Comment

Originally posted by newbee View Post
        But atleast you would have all that money to spend
        You missed a bit: "mind you Public sector rates are £50-100 more here"

Personally if I ever was that desperate to have to work in "the city" (another bunch of egotistical ****** who think there's only one city ), I'd tailor my CV accordingly.

Don't forget, those contracting in the public sector are usually doing so via a big corporate (who may even be blue-chip), so it's easy to just put their details on the CV and not even mention the public sector.

Just do what the agencies do anyway, tailor your CV for the specific vacancy, and make sure you've got your story straight for any subsequent interview!
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          You missed a bit: "mind you Public sector rates are £50-100 more here"

Personally if I ever was that desperate to have to work in "the city" (another bunch of egotistical ****** who think there's only one city ), I'd tailor my CV accordingly.

Don't forget, those contracting in the public sector are usually doing so via a big corporate (who may even be blue-chip), so it's easy to just put their details on the CV and not even mention the public sector.

Just do what the agencies do anyway, tailor your CV for the specific vacancy, and make sure you've got your story straight for any subsequent interview!
          Iam never going to work in city, so not really bothered about the ''the city guys''.
          But in the long run, want to make sure that I have flexibility with gigs and not be cornered.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Excellent advice. As to the original question, bearing in mind the financial climate, do you think it is better to be in finance or public sector over the next 12-24 months?
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Are members on board in lovey dovey mood today, come on trickle in some elderly wise words

Comment

Are members on board in lovey dovey mood today, come on trickle in some elderly wise words
                What exactly is the question?

Comment

take whichever job is offering the most money.
                  HTH

Comment

Well have an offer for BA role with bit of PMing in finance sector(client offered gig at interview ).

But since then have had 1 interview arranged and alsmost certainly will be called for another tomorrow for a PM gigs in public sector.

now sure will get the offered the public sector gig.

Renowned board, opinions wanted will going for public gig kill my bluechip finance sector aspiration. Or does it matter, mind you Public sector rates are £50-100 more here.
                    No decision to be made till you have been offered both posts. Worry about it then.

HTH
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X