• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC's obsession with contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC's obsession with contractors

All these news stories about new measures Hector is putting in place makes me wonder - why are contractors getting so much attention?

Don't they have other areas where they could try and close 'loopholes'.

Is it just because they think we're easier to come after than super rich and big businesses?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Are they contractor specific? Or are they small business specific?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Contractor. It's coming off the back of the TUCs aversion to what they call "casualisation of the workforce". Agreed they are actually talking about temps (a lot of whom are immigrants as well) who are getting screwed over by unscrupulous employers, but HMG is too dim to separate out the middle-ground people like us. So we're kind of caught in tthe crossfire
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's only fair.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          All these news stories about new measures Hector is putting in place makes me wonder - why are contractors getting so much attention?
          Because the govermin is absolutely desperate for money, and grubbing about frantically for every penny available.

They'd shave the wool off sheep standing in the fields if they thought it would bring in a few million.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
            They'd shave the wool off sheep standing in the fields if they thought it would bring in a few million.
            Shaven Sheep ....... kinky.

Comment

We are anathema

Blimey Jog, have you only just realised this?

They (HMRC, the Labour Government, and chippy lefties in general) HATE OUR F**KING GUTS!

Why? Well, the reasons are numerous and well documented, so I will refrain from giving a comprehensive list here.

Suffice to say that IR35 (yes, remember?) set the tone for our relationship with the party in power. The Paymaster General, no less, compared us to 'glorified typists' and war was promptly declared.

In summary, the principal reasons why they hate and fixate upon us are: -

1) We are independent and not under the control of the government, or friends of the government (i.e. big corporate employers).

2) We are entrepreneurial. This is plainly anathema to these clods who have never so much as ran a whelk stall. They have no concept of risk and reward, standing on ones own feet etc.

3) We are natural anti-Labourites. We hate everything they stand for. They prop up the dependency culture whereas we try to escape from it.

Labour have always been suspicious of the self-employed, the small business owners, and those who wish to better themselves, and they seek to penalise them at every opportunity.

It's as if being self-employed were some sort of fiddle, or a tax dodge. As we know, they are the fiddlers and dodgers, not us.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

1) We are independent and not under the control of the government, or friends of the government (i.e. big corporate employers).

2) We are entrepreneurial. This is plainly anathema to these clods who have never so much as ran a whelk stall. They have no concept of risk and reward, standing on ones own feet etc.

3) We are natural anti-Labourites. We hate everything they stand for. They prop up the dependency culture whereas we try to escape from it.

Labour have always been suspicious of the self-employed, the small business owners, and those who wish to better themselves, and they seek to penalise them at every opportunity.

It's as if being self-employed were some sort of fiddle, or a tax dodge. As we know, they are the fiddlers and dodgers, not us.

Post of the day. (Unfortunately cos it's true)

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Blimey Jog, have you only just realised this?

They (HMRC, the Labour Government, and chippy lefties in general) HATE OUR F**KING GUTS!

Why? Well, the reasons are numerous and well documented, so I will refrain from giving a comprehensive list here.

Suffice to say that IR35 (yes, remember?) set the tone for our relationship with the party in power. The Paymaster General, no less, compared us to 'glorified typists' and war was promptly declared.

well said Sir! any chance of you standing for head of PCG? I would rejoin if you were.

Comment

Well said Bogeyman.
                    That boy go raaaaaaa
                    Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Working...
                    X