• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP twice as fast as Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP twice as fast as Vista

http://www.news.com/Windows-XP-outsh...3-6220201.html

Frankly, the world wasn't 100 percent ready for Windows Vista
    They make it sound like the world's fault for being irrationally conservative rather than theirs for releasing a pile of poo that is at best adequate.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not a huge shock the test bed only had 1Gb of RAM. Vista uses a tulip load more ram than XP so it will have been using virtual memory constantly. Redo the tests on a machine with 4gb ram and see how it pans out.

What they have done is the equivalent of running XP and Win 98 on a machine with 64Mb ram. I bet 98 would have been quicker....

Comment

This is the compelling reason that corporates have been awaiting to launch their VISTA upgrade.

Shorrly shim mushtake ...

Comment

I think many people have now woken up to M$ strategy of software progression. All their latest products don't do a lot that much better or efficiently than the previous version. Some things are simply worse, like that ribbon she-ite on the latest version of Office.

There's only so much you can change while you're still shackled by the mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Maybe that's why ole Bill was showing off that coffee table PC recently, that had already been kicked off Dragon's Den a couple of years ago as a piece of junk. Obviously, it's the interface that's the interesting part, with M$ following Apple down the touch-screen route.

Until the methods of control evolve, all we'll see are slightly easier wizards, and better graphics, just so the mugs that buy the upgrades also have to upgrade their PC to use them.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

My new laptop, bought mid 07, came preinstalled with vista and ran like a 3 legged dog running through treacle.

Quick install of XP and it flies...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              My new laptop, bought mid 07, came preinstalled with vista and ran like a 3 legged dog running through treacle.

Quick install of XP and it flies...
              Besides, if you want all that Aero stuff, which I think is vastly overrated, there's third-party add-ons to make XP look more like Vista, but without the massive performance hit.

I await news that M$ have bought the rights to it and the next 'update' for Vista will be XP in drag.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                It is.

HTH.

And 95 is quicker still.

HTH HTH...
                OS/2 1.3 Faster than the lot of 'em!!!

Oh, OS/2 how I miss you!

Churchill - In "Poet and didn't know it" mode!

Comment

Are M$ doing the cut down version of Vista they did (or were going to do) with XP for the 3rd world?

I bet that one flies, and at a fraction of the price, if not free!

I think M$ shot themselves in the foot by developing their new operating systems using their own bloated dev tools. They should have stuck to C++ instead of believing their own hype about C#, which is just a wrapper for their .Net carp. Hence developing in C# or VB.net makes very little difference to the overall solution, where C++ used to wipe the floor with VB. Is it M$ dumbing down or my understanding of it?
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

... not forgetting good old MS-DOS, and CPM.

Bet those would be really quick.

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    OS/2 1.3 Faster than the lot of 'em!!!

Oh, OS/2 how I miss you!

Churchill - In "Poet and didn't know it" mode!

Comment

Working...
                    X