• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu

Knocks Vista into a c-ocked hat. Wireless is a pain though.

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    It's about as useful as your contribution to this forum then, eh?

Linux, worth every penny you pay for it!

Comment

Ubuntu: isn't that an ancient Swahili word for "can't install Gentoo"?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

This server runs on Ubuntu, very stable so far and been on this box for a while now having moved from Redhat. I use Ubuntu on Laptop as well as wireless was fine to set up and use for me. Had a real pain with dual screen set up on work machine a couple of months ago though. Ubuntu is not far off being as user friendly to set up as Windows. Wiped Vista off the laptop to use Ubuntu.

Comment

Debian Etch is the way to go. I fiddled about with Ubuntu but it didn't like something on the machine I installed it on.

Ubuntu is based on Debian anyway but the Debian crew are slightly more fixated on stability

Quick command for you Administrator:

apt-get moo

just proves that Debian based distro's are the best

Comment

I installed Ubuntu on my vaio, fantastic. Moving between desktops very easy and practical. Add a bit of eye candy and the display even wobbles...

Ubuntu on youtube... check it...
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Got a mix of Ubuntu, Centos and Sun boxes here. One Windows XP box for nostalgia value and latterly a PC running OS X. Things would be grief free except for still having Windows around.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

The future is LINUX (with SAP running on it).

HTH

Comment

If wireless chipset not supported directly checkout ndiswrapper which allows the use of the Windows drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                    just proves that Debian based distro's are the best
                    Not a fan really. I've tried Debina and I went back to FreeBSD. It just seems to make more sense really. The ports system by far outweights the apt-get stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X