• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unacceptable aggression on CUK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unacceptable aggression on CUK

Come on guys, ease up!

You were newbie contractors once, and probably asked a lot of questions that probably appear stupid to the more intiated amongst us.

It's really not fair to ridicule them, or put them dow, as if they're complete ignorant numpties that should know better than to grace this forum with 'their daft offerings.' A lot of people may well be put off by joining this forum or asking highly relevant questions for their own circumstances.

By all means make some reference for standard answers, if they can help, but just remember that newbie insecurities will inevitably elicit a feeling of extra caution about what they see is a scary leap into the dark and so they would rather ensure answers are up to date and relevant to their own particular concerns by asking them again and getting tailored answers. That's normal human behaviour not the outpourings of a numpty.

So be nice guys!

thank you

Comment

People with nearly 100 posts and 10 months of membership don't count as newbies do they?

Comment

btw, when I joined I remember things being quite aggressive to newbies asking daft questions, and I thought this was quite good in encouraging people (including me) to get themselves better informed.

Comment

Well said Denny been a lurker for a while because of the "flaming" newbies get! And Dude people get better informed by asking questions, they are only daft to people who don't know the answers %)

/me ducks and takes cover
          The answer is never

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            Come on guys, ease up!

You were newbie contractors once, and probably asked a lot of questions that probably appear stupid to the more intiated amongst us.

It's really not fair to ridicule them, or put them dow, as if they're complete ignorant numpties that should know better than to grace this forum with 'their daft offerings.' A lot of people may well be put off by joining this forum or asking highly relevant questions for their own circumstances.

By all means make some reference for standard answers, if they can help, but just remember that newbie insecurities will inevitably elicit a feeling of extra caution about what they see is a scary leap into the dark and so they would rather ensure answers are up to date and relevant to their own particular concerns by asking them again and getting tailored answers. That's normal human behaviour not the outpourings of a numpty.

So be nice guys!
            Teachers pet at school?

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
              People with nearly 100 posts and 10 months of membership don't count as newbies do they?
              They might still be permies looking to make the leap. So number of posts is no indicator of time contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
                btw, when I joined I remember things being quite aggressive to newbies asking daft questions, and I thought this was quite good in encouraging people (including me) to get themselves better informed.
                People should never embellish the realities of contracting because people need to know that there's a downside as well as an upside, but honest answers can still be given in a neutral and friendly way instead of a tone that suggests 'OMG, not another newbie wasting my time so here's a good kicking you little nobody.'

Comment

Contractors are, on the whole, a bunch of sarcastic bastards.

And we're proud of it too.

Newcomers beware. It will be good for them in the end
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                    People should never embellish the realities of contracting because people need to know that there's a downside as well as an upside, but honest answers can still be given in a neutral and friendly way instead of a tone that suggests 'OMG, not another newbie wasting my time so here's a good kicking you little nobody.'
                    Some people just NEED a kicking. It's the fastest way to make them learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X