• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net gravy train switching tracks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.Net gravy train switching tracks?

Looking on Jobserve for .net related contracts, it seems those requiring C# vastly outnumber those wanting VB.Net. It didn't used to be this one sided.

As someone who's been able to get by with VB for many a year, has the time come where I should really be looking at getting into C#?

I'm reluctant because I find VB much more intuitive (seeing as I speak English and not some curly-bracket-semi-colon language).

I can read C# and work out what it's doing easy enough, so maybe I just need to use a VB.net to C# converter for my work, and just worry about blagging it through the technical test.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

If you have been doing .net for any length of time... surely this isnt even an issue? They are pretty much exactly the same, and you can teach yourself the syntax in a couple of hours maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
      If you have been doing .net for any length of time... surely this isnt even an issue? They are pretty much exactly the same, and you can teach yourself the syntax in a couple of hours maximum.

A couple of hours work is a very long time in my universe.

Isn't there a plug-in for Visual Studio where I can type in VB and it automatically converts to C#?

I seem to remember (having had a quick play with C# in the past) that intellisense and other VS goodies are somewhat different or lacking for C# too?
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

When I left my permie job (at a large Northern retail bank) they'd made the move from VB6 to C## as an architectural decision.

They were in some special partnership with Microsoft, who had told them that their strategic direction should be with C##.

The cross-training shouldn't be much of pain. If I recall, the main problems in the training were around the OO concepts, not the syntactical differences.
        If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

SAP is the future!

DimPrawn
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
            When I left my permie job (at a large Northern retail bank) they'd made the move from VB6 to C## as an architectural decision.

They were in some special partnership with Microsoft, who had told them that their strategic direction should be with C##.

The cross-training shouldn't be much of pain. If I recall, the main problems in the training were around the OO concepts, not the syntactical differences.

I think VB has been brought on par with C# regarding 99% of the OO stuff. I suppose it's a case of getting used to the terminology and understanding the real differences between the two languages, apart from the syntax. Oh well, will keep me busy for a while.

After all, as a contractor you either adapt or die back to permiedom, and I've no intentions of doing that until I go grey at least!
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

A couple of hours work is a very long time in my universe.

You deserve to be left behind then. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                SAP is the future!

DimPrawn
                Isn't Dim one of the gravy train regulars?

I heard SAP was on it's way out about 10 years ago! Probably the same people that predicted the death of COBOL, and yet we now have COBOL.net don't we?

You could be right about SAP: Just looked on jobserve and there are 1565 contracts advertised in the last 7 days for "sap", as opposed to 1256 for ".net".
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                  You deserve to be left behind then. Good riddance.
                  KMA
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

KMA
                    No I dont think I will..... If you are to 'busy' to upskill for a few hours in your chosen work, you dont deserve to work. You have time to post in here, find time for some very simple syntax learning.

Comment

Working...
                    X