• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Norwich Union

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norwich Union

Oh dear.

Apparently, they are desperate to attract permies, and have a new website jointhegrownups.co.uk, I wonder how much they paid some masturbating teenager for that one?

The biggest problem with NU is the dead wood, they can get as many new permies as they want, inevitably they get undermined by the choronologically promoted hopeless ethically bankrupt dead wood. Most cannot run projects and have no training in Prince2 etc, most have 'friends' in high places and will get rid of anyone who challenges them, many started straight out of school and have worked nowhere else. Good people might start working there, but they don't stay.

I contracted there for a PM who's father-in-law was on the board, interestingly the PM seemed to know what was going on before anyone else and got contracts etc signed just before freezes were announced. So much for fiduciary.

I wonder what the shareholders would think of the cost to the company of staff being forced to re-apply their jobs every couple of years. Most of the people I know who work there have applied (for the roles they currently do) over five times! What kind of insanity is going on here?

I knew of other contractors being paid 2.5 times the market rate because their pimp was also working on the project and was a friend of one of the directors, the director moved on, the pimp and the overpaid contractors still remain, in a 100M programme that has delivered about 10% of what the shareholders were promised. Efficiency.

The local newspaper seems to never properly report on or investigate what goes on. NU seem to hold Norwich hostage, they have a gentleman's agreement with Marsh Insurance, they will never employ each other's staff... I can't help wondering if NU did have their headquarters in London how long their disgraceful behaviour would last.

That's the price you pay for living in Norfolk. Want to work for someone else, move elsewhere.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      That's the price you pay for living in Norfolk. Want to work for someone else, move elsewhere.
      It's nothing to do with living in Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        It's nothing to do with living in Norfolk
        Oh, yes it is!
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

He's behind you!
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Boo Hiss
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Wendy - what do you think the website should be called instead?
              Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Norwich Union have had a continuous recruitment campaign for permie PMs for well over a year. Location: York and Norwich.

According to a Senior PM I met at a PCG meeting, they are completely clueless and keep changing their minds about what they want to do with the business. However, since they are cash-rich, they can afford to be clueless. So they keep bringing in PMs and business analysts but then don't give them any work to do.

I applied for one of these roles circa spring 2008 2007. I was supposed to have had a telephone interview but they stood me up.

I phoned up and it was re-arranged. They stood me up again.

They phoned me and complained I had stood them up and referred to a date and time I had never agreed to but I was in at that time and they hadn't phoned me.

I arranged a third telephone interview. That clashed with another face-to-face interview for a good gig so I turned them down. They were so cross they said they would make a record of me turning them down. Like I cared by then.

When I was benched last Autumn, I must have been called at least 12 times by different agencies trying to fill these permie roles.

(But by then I had come to accept I never want to do permie work again and would rather be benched anyway.)
                Last edited by BrowneIssue; 18 February 2008, 22:08. Reason: Time travel
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I applied for one of these roles circa spring 2008
                  Did you?
                  That boy go raaaaaaa
                  Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    Wendy - what do you think the website should be called instead?
                    jointheoutsourcingmoneygrabbers.co.uk

HTH
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X