• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 Month to become c# contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Month to become c# contractor?

<Wimlsow mode>

Right, I'm going to stick my neck out and risk being torn to shreds here.

Went perm at a VB6 shop a while back with all the promises of c# training - as you'd expect it was pure fiction. So I read books, wrote code, did a few microserf exams just to get up to speed a little.

However, I'm desperate to get back out there. Reading the '.Net gravy train' thread has fired me up as well.

So, do you reckon if I gave myself a month of total immersion in e-books (I've got loads) and writing as much code as possible would get me to interview level? I reckon it would as I have a grounding in the fundamentals.

I'd need to get out of the house to do it (kids) and really can't do this in my spare time, hence me considering getting out of the present permie backwater and giving myself a month before stacking shelves in Tescos.

I had a permie .NET interview a few months back and got very good feedback, but they wanted to pay peanuts...

</Wimlsow mode>

"month of total immersion" indeed! What are you a contractor or a perma-temp?

If you can't bluff it through an interview after a cursory google on the subject then maybe contracting is not for you.

HTH

threaded in "bluffers guide to bluffing" mode
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Shim has never been a strong one on self confidence bless him

Milan.

Comment

That's right Milan, seems to get worse with age

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          If you can't bluff it through an interview after a cursory google on the subject then maybe contracting is not for you.
          Quite right too. My experience of breaking into c# gracy train went:

1. stick said skill on cv and circulate
          2. Get interview
          3. Buy c# book night before interview
          4. Ace interview and start new contract on monday (after ditching horrible permie job with zero notice)

Really, your a contractor for f00ks sake. Believe in yourself.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            Was - I like to do things properly anyhow

Comment

Shim,

glad to hear things are going well, it's great that you pop in here once in a while to catch up with us sad aging losers.

I would suggest, if you do not feel comfortable to blag your way in, don't do it.

Blagging is pert of contracting, if blagging is not for you then relax in your permie role.

Consultancies refer to blagging as qualitities of a consultant, consultant mentality etc.

All the best,

Milan.

p.s. remember, dreams are free

Comment

Actually, you are telling me what I want to hear - I can blag with the best of them when I have to. Last time I asked a similar question everyone was 'oh you can't get away with blagging any more'

Just need to step out of my Wilmslow mindset (it is catching after a while in permiedom I can tell you) and get on with it

Then I can realise my dreams - of which you know I have many

Comment

I been blagging for years, sometimes I'm not sure when I am in blagging mode and when not

those (contractors) who turn their noses up to blagging are fibbers

have fun with your blags and remember never blag more than you can blag

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    Quite right too. My experience of breaking into c# gracy train went:

1. stick said skill on cv and circulate
                    2. Get interview
                    3. Buy c# book night before interview
                    4. Ace interview and start new contract on monday (after ditching horrible permie job with zero notice)

Yep - if you can't do the gig when you get there, that's the time to really start to cram. For the first month (at least), you can get by with "I'm just making sure I'm up to speed with your processes and standards before starting to code..."

It's also worth considering this at interview:

"if you want someone who knows all the technical reference books off by heart, I'm not your guy. There's nothing worse than getting someone in who's got a whole load of preconceived ideas in their heads that doesn't fit what you need them to do..."

Taken from "TheFaqqer's Guide to Blagging", chapter 1.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X