• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odds of being a victim of a tube bombing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odds of being a victim of a tube bombing?

What are the odds if you use the tube every day in central London in Peak hours?
    I work out that even if there was a bombing campaign every day (assuming 4 bombs per day), you would go roughly 126 days before being in a bombed train.

I'm sorry but this is not a flippant question and I don't mean to be disrespectful of those who lost their lives yesterday - but it is a question of vital importance to Londoners
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Four months? Those are not encouraging odds. But such a frequency of bombing in this country is highly unlikely. The terrorists don't have the local infrastructure.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

If you take the kicking off point as 11/9 and compare the number of people killed in tube bombings versus the number of people transported by tube in those years, it's probably safer than taking a bath or putting your trousers on.

Comment

Lucifer, putting my trousers on is a very dangerous activity, given my enormous willy

Comment

Why fuss it? Odd's of such a sustained campain are pretty much zero.

As will become obvious in next few days/weeks it is actually hard for a terrorist to remain operating in London for any extended period of time. Why? simple

First they will identify what the bombs were actually in, lets say one was in a purple rucksack

They will then check all CCTV camaras at all the tube stations from when the tubes opened that day till time bomb went off (aprox 4 hours) and identify anyone with simerlar bags.

They will check out those they can and eliminate them from enquirys

Who ever is left is likely to be the terrorist

Next day pictures of him also various artist renderings of him if say shaved beard off,put on one so forth

If the buss was carrying stadard cctv camaeras he will be even easyer to identify

If he/they are still in country by this stage be cought very quickly

Being an Island it's not very easy for them to hop back and forth across the border for each attack.

Truth is it is impossible to stop determined terrorists from commiting their act's, but getting away without ever being identified is totally different matter.

And this is also why the fear of suicide bombers, because they have no interest in "getting away with it" but doubt we will see a mass influx of them over here.

Comment

I remember recently there was an outcry because the CCTV on a bus or train wasnt working because they didnt have spare tapes or something?

Mailman

Comment

Missed

The fookers missed me by half an hour yesterday ...

Yah boo sucks I'm still here you w*nkers!!! I wish I believed in Chico's hell so you could rot there. Unfortunately you won't. But I think life in a prison where you get to pick up Big Bubba's soap in the shower every day would be a start.
              Last edited by sasguru; 8 July 2005, 15:52.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Without wishing to play the race card, I suppose the one natural defence we have is that these terrorists are relatively easy to spot - they aren't white. A member of the IRA could be anyone in the crowd. With Islamic terrorism in the UK, the number of potential suspects is greatly reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
                  With Islamic terrorism in the UK, the number of potential suspects is greatly reduced.
                  Have you checked percentage of white population in London? Your suggestion is a non-starter.

A better one would be require people with luggage and backpacks to sit in specially designed blast proof carriageway -- those who choose to carry luggage have to accept higher risk.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    What are the odds if you use the tube every day in central London in Peak hours?
                    I work out that even if there was a bombing campaign every day (assuming 4 bombs per day), you would go roughly 126 days before being in a bombed train.

I'm sorry but this is not a flippant question and I don't mean to be disrespectful of those who lost their lives yesterday - but it is a question of vital importance to Londoners
                    Can you put down some figures for this analysis?

p.s. sorry to be the annoying technically aware person who spoils clueless managers fun at the meetings
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X