• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm sorry - I just don't get this...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry - I just don't get this...

Clientco representative says she's putting an offer together for me - that they want to offer me a permie job. Diff type of work to what I'm doing now - more PM than development.

She implied the offer would mean more net than I get through contracting now, even after PAYE. Plus all the usual benefits inc bonus, car, training budget etc.

I know they'd have to pay a sizeable sum of cash to the agency (sorry Denny, EB) to do this - they'd also take on a tax burden, admin and so on.

So what on earth are their motives for wanting me permie? What financial advantage do they gain? AFAIK they'd be paying more to do this (I know my agency's margin).

Quite apart from the fact they're offering me this fills me with dread - the loss of freedom, the paperwork, the politics, the permie blight. <shudder>

Wilmslow, is that you?

Comment

You are Wilmslow in disguise and I claim my £5. Next.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Wilmslow, is that you?
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

They're lying.

Watch the promises of money disappear and get replaced with barely worthwhile "benefits" at time goes on.

Comment

I'd love to take the credit for such an artful troll, but sadly, it's just me - ol' RH - genuinely confused as usual.

I didn't say I was tempted - quite the contrary - it's like going out with a particularly fractious and barely adequate girlfriend and her saying she's going to propose on Feb 29th.

Comment

They obviously love you to bits and want to reduce the chances of you running off into the sunset with another clientco. Do you even want to do PM work, rather than dev?

I'd wait to see the offer and the actual amounts they're talking about. Quite often, management don't have a clue how to work out equivilent net pay from contrat work to permie work.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                1: They obviously love you to bits
                2: and want to reduce the chances of you running off into the sunset with another clientco.
                3: Do you even want to do PM work, rather than dev?
                4: I'd wait to see the offer and the actual amounts they're talking about.
                Quite often, management don't have a clue how to work out equivilent net pay from contrat work to permie work.
                I considered flattering myself like this for a nanosecond - but let's examine the facts:

1: If they love me so much - I'm already working with them, I'm not going anywhere until the end of the contract.
                2: Running off? I'm on the same mutual contractual notice period as the permies.
                3: In this line - and having the opportunity to have someone pay for my training and qualifications in this - yes. It's about the only thing that makes me think twice.
                4: This is what'll interest me. It'd have to be considerably over my current rate to compare.

More to the point - I don't believe they'd do this if it wasn't to their financial advantage somehow. Even if they do love me that much - I'm here, aren't I? They could just renew. This could have something to do with me aggressively raising my rate for the last 3 renewals - maybe they think if I were to accept an offer they'd lose less cash in the long run.
                Last edited by realityhack; 19 February 2008, 11:58.

Comment

First thought that ran through my head was "wow what a mark up the agency must be on".
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    First thought that ran through my head was "wow what a mark up the agency must be on".
                    Good point

Comment

Working...
                    X