• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Porsche challenge red Ken over congestion charge hike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche challenge red Ken over congestion charge hike

Looks like they're worried their main client base (the city bwankers) will ditch their porkers if they have to pay £25/day to pose on the way to work.

I think it's probably the least of the bwankers worries as they currently decide whether to jump or run.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7252092.stm

Luxury carmaker Porsche is to challenge plans to increase London's congestion charge to £25-a-day for some vehicles.
    The firm said it intended to ask for a judicial review into the price changes, which come into force in October.

Porsche says the new rules, which affect the highest polluting vehicles, are "disproportionate" and will not decrease emissions in central London.

Transport for London (TfL) predicts up to 22,000 cars will no longer come into the zone when the new fee comes in.

Under the plans, which will be introduced on 27 October, cars with the lowest carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions will get a 100% discount on the charge.

Simply unjust

Most drivers will still pay the £8 road toll for entering the zone which covers parts of central and west London.

Porsche will write to the mayor's office informing him of their intention to seek a judicial review.

If it does not receive a satisfactory response, it will apply to the courts for an order to quash the new charge.

The mayor's advisor on climate change Mark Watts said "No-one needs to drive these really big polluting cars in central London.

"It's the 'polluter pays' principle - you will be allowed to carry on driving a big polluting car in central London, but what the new charge will mean is you have to pay for the cost of the pollution that you inflict upon everyone else."

The mayor has said: "There will be losers but overall we will all gain."

But Andy Goss, managing director of Porsche GB, said: "A massive congestion charge increase is quite simply unjust.

"Thousands of car owners will be hit by a disproportionate tax which clearly will have a very limited effect on CO2 emissions."

Porsche vehicles which would be affected by the new charge include the Cayenne, which can be bought with a 4.8-litre engine at a cost of around £50,000, and the 911 model, which has an engine size of up to 3.8 litres and has a price tag of up to £80,000.

Transport for London (TfL) estimates about 33,000 vehicles will now fall into the £25 charge sector to drive into London each day.

It predicts about two-thirds of these will no longer come into the charge zone once the new fee is introduced.

The congestion charge was initially introduced in February 2003 and covered just central London, with the daily charge set at £5.

Since then the charge has gone up to £8 a day and a western extension, incorporating such areas as Kensington and Chelsea, has been added.

According to TfL, there are 70,000 fewer vehicles in the charging zone, every day, in the five years since the fee was introduced.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Ken is relying on the fact that people HAVE to drive or will opt to still drive...after all, it has fook all to do with emissions and more to do with raising revenue...
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

i think its right of Porsche to challange it. The expected drop in emmissions (by the tfls own figures) is less than 0.1%

Hardly worth the effort!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Serves the Porsche driving tossers right. If they had any class they'd have bought a Ferrari.

HTH

Comment

Isnt it rather ironic that a cyan with a 2.8l diesel engine wont pay the congestion charge YET a normal family car like a 2l VW passat WILL get hit with the increased congestion charge!

Surely if this wasnt just about revenue gathering all they would have to do to reduce traffic in central london is close the bloody streets off to all traffic between 7am and 6pm every day?

Nah, that will never happen...far to progressive a thing for this country!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
            Surely if this wasnt just about revenue gathering all they would have to do to reduce traffic in central london is close the bloody streets off to all traffic between 7am and 6pm every day?
            So obvious yet so lacking in the revenue generation stakes. Unless they then hiked the public transport costs seeing as they'd have a captive audience.

There's so many tubes and buses I don't know why people choose to drive in London anyway. Must be they're too snobby to sit/stand alongside someone they look down to.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

look lads, it's like this,

it has cost porsh feck all to announce they will ask for a judicial revue

and look at the headlines they've got out of it

free use of the press

very impressive

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                So obvious yet so lacking in the revenue generation stakes. Unless they then hiked the public transport costs seeing as they'd have a captive audience.
                Wot, you saying the cost of public transport HASNT already risen steeply over the last few years?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                  Wot, you saying the cost of public transport HASNT already risen steeply over the last few years?

Mailman

I live in ignorance, which is way outside London.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Do any of you actually USE the public transport system in London. Its not good at all. The trains are ALWAYS packed, the tube is dirty and Always packed. There is a problem on the Jubilee line (and im sure many other tube lines) nearly every day which will create a 30 min to 2hr delay in gettin to work or home and the prices are extortionate..... I work in Canary Wharf and if it didnt take 3hrs in rush hr to get here in a car, i would drive. I will be risking life and limb everyday on the bike when the weather gets better. Anything to get off the poor public transport system.

Comment

Working...
                    X