• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Muppets 2........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muppets 2........

I had some muppet flashing me because I was hogging the middle lane yesterday, I wouldn't have minded but the motorway was busy and there were quite a few cars in the slow lane. He seemed to think I should move to the inside lane at every opportunity.....

There is no slow lane on the motorway

inside lane- overtaking lane - overtaking only lane
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit View Post
      I had some muppet flashing me because I was hogging the middle lane yesterday, I wouldn't have minded but the motorway was busy and there were quite a few cars in the slow lane. He seemed to think I should move to the inside lane at every opportunity.....
      Is there any reason why you should not?

There is no such thing as slow lane - only usual lane and overtaking lanes.

Personally, unless I will overtake again in 15 seconds, I pull to usual lane.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Is there any reason why you should not?

There is no such thing as slow lane - only usual lane and overtaking lanes.

Personally, unless I will overtake again in 15 seconds, I pull to usual lane.
        That's a whole quarter of a mile you are making somebody sit behind you for no reason you evil bar steward you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by G8_Summit View Post
          You should. I am busy BMW driver.

Comment

It's time to allow undertaking (as in the USA) that should stop the middle lane hoggers. On most motorways at rush hour the inside lane is the least full and moves fastest. Which proves that people have the slow lane/fast lane attitude and therefore automatically take the wrong lane
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
              That's a whole quarter of a mile you are making somebody sit behind you for no reason you evil bar steward you!!!

Well if I am doing 35 overtaking someone at 30 it is half that!

Seriously, lets say I am overtaking people doing 60 when I do 70 - what is the safe stopping distance at 70mph? According to
              http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garage/stopmph.htm It is 100 metres.

So I need to be past car by 100 metres to pull in - and then need to pull out when 100 metres behind next car. In a minute I cover 1600 metres. But it is the speed difference that counts - in this case 10 mph which is about 300 metres in 15 seconds.

So I should actually do 20 seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                It's time to allow undertaking (as in the USA) that should stop the middle lane hoggers. On most motorways at rush hour the inside lane is the least full and moves fastest. Which proves that people have the slow lane/fast lane attitude and therefore automatically take the wrong lane
                I believe that undertaking is allowed if traffic is queuing? Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Apart from the endless amount of trucks in the inside lane, I really hate the tramlines they create.

So my solution is to travel so fast I'm busy overtaking the middle lane and forget all about the inside one.

It seems this tramlining of the inside lane is a fairly recent thing as I don't recall noticing them about 10 years ago. Are they using poorer grade surfacing, or is it just the increase in heavy goods traffic that's causing it?
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    There is no slow lane on the motorway

inside lane- overtaking lane - overtaking only lane
                    Quite. The last time I got pulled by a pointy hat was on the M4 near Swindon. His reason was for excessive lane changing. I could see his point if chopping and changing and it was 3 slow moving streams of traffic, but it wasn't - just moderate traffic.

I resisted the urge to refer him to roadcraft and the highway code but did enquire if it was alright with him if I drove for the rest of my life in the middle lane. From his reaction I thought I was going to have to offer to fall down the station steps for him.

Comment

Working...
                    X